Filling uneven floor

My daughter has just had a new kitchen installed. It has left about a

2ft square area of the floor untiled, which is obviously slightly lower than the rest. How is the best way of levelling this small area before covering the floor? Would a screed of cement do the job, if so how would I make sure it adhered to the lower cement surface?
Reply to
Moonraker

How thick will the patching layer be?

The classic way of bonding fresh cement to old dry clean cement is to paint on a cement slurry - cement powerd+water mixed to honey consistency. Paint on with a brush and apply new cementwhilst it is wet.

I would add SBR to the cement screed which will allow you to go down to 1cm thick for the patching layer - in which case, apply 1:1 diluted SBR to the substrate, allow to dry, mix the cemnt slurry with 1:1 SBR:water and apply

1:4 cement:sand screed made with 1:1 SBR:water instead of water.

If it is more like 2cm tick, plain cement onto a cememnt slurry will work.

If it's less than 1cm, don't bother. Apply a layer of cememnt based tile adhesive to sort it out, allow to go off then proceed as normal.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've done this with interior filler. Sticks well, even at the edges and is robust enough under a floor covering (in my case a heavy duty vinyl)

Reply to
stuart noble

Just a note to suggest you avoid what the people before us here did.

After the kitchen had gone in they put some self levelling compound down on the floor, right up to the base of the fitted units. Which meant that you could not remove the kick panels below the units (at least, not without destroying them).

Hopefully the small area is at the end of a run of units so this won't be a problem.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts