Apprentice and Hex keys

Third year apprentice (one of the best we have had) was having trouble putting the meter tails into the mains isolator on some new builds.
He was having difficulty tightening up the hex screws.
One answer in the office was "You have a shit set of Allen keys"
In his defence he replied "They are brand new I only got them on Saturday and I paid for the most expensive of the two pairs available as I don't want shit tools"
Anyone care to guess what went wrong:-)?
--
Adam

On 10/01/19 19:10, ARW wrote:

Imperial vs metric?
--

Jeff

On 10/01/2019 19:15, Jeff Layman wrote:

Torx, not hex?
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 19:15:24 +0000, Jeff Layman

+1
Cheers, T i m
On 10/01/2019 19:55, T i m wrote:

Indeed.
But at least he came in and said he had a problem. And the problem is now sorted.
Obviously never heard of the word imperial before and was amazed at the markings on the tool that he had never noticed.
--
Adam

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 21:08:43 +0000, ARW wrote:

Oh dear, how will he cope when £sd and feet inches and roods come back ?
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 21:23:19 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk

Cheers, T i m
On 10/01/2019 21:23, Jethro_uk wrote:

My favourite is 4 X 2 wood (nominally 4 inches by 2 inches) yet sold in metre lengths so you get things like :-
"two metres of 4 bay 2"
On 10/01/2019 21:54, soup wrote:

Was it ever 2" x 4"?
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Always was and still is here.
Rod Speed wrote:

Always been 4 be 2 here.

Bullshit.
Rod Speed wrote:

In my circle I have never heard 2x4 from anyone but yanks

Then you need a new circle, bad.
Rod Speed wrote:

I just posed the question in Australian woodwork Forums (which is full of woodwork people and carpenters) and overwhelmingly 4x2 (only one dissenter)
Having been schooled in imperial measurements with metrication coming in du ring my student days, I tend to use both, imperial where I need to divide l engths in halves, quarters or eights which in metric soon ends up in measur ements needing to be calculated and often involving fractions of a mm.
In defence of schools teaching only metric measurements, imperial is going nowhere so why teach something that will only add to confusion. After all w as it not NASA that missed Mars because someone mixed up imperial and metri c, so if some of the top scientists and engineers can confuse things what c hance have kids got.
An awareness of imperial is needed but only in those areas of work where le gacy products exist and in those cases it is beholding on the industries in volved to train their operatives in the skills required.
Richard
On 11/01/2019 11:35, Tricky Dicky wrote:

I was taught only metric at school, but use both. I prefer metric for calculations, but imperial for real-world measurements.
I can visualise imperial measurements better than metric and they match everyday life better (a pint or half-pint to drink, a pound of meat for a stew, etc.).
Imperial also divides up nicely into 1/4s and 1/3s.
SteveW

I was taught both, metric for the hard sciences.

I hardly ever use imperial anymore except where the original imperial size has just restated in metric units

I prefer metric for almost everything now. The main thing I still think in imperial for is the height of individuals. I don’t with weight.
I also think of house block sized in feet but that just because I remember mine is 150'x100'

I don’t with beer, think in terms of 750ml full beer bottles and what we call stubbys, 375ml although there are plenty smaller than 375ml now with the small ones and cans.
Think in terms of 500ml and 1l with soft drink.

Exclusively KG for me.

Sure, but I hardly ever need to do that. And I hate the other measures like cups, teaspoons etc.
On 11/01/2019 22:53, Steve Walker wrote:
a stew, etc.).

What's different about 1/3 kg and 1/3 pound? You should be able to handle either with ease.
Ones 333.333333* grams and the other is 6.6666* ounces.

You seem to be thinking of pints rather than pounds!
--

Roger Hayter