no plumbing shut-off

How is it possible to cut and cap a water line going to my bathroom that has no shut-off in line? and the main water line shut-off does NOT shut off.

4 shut-offs and not 1 works. good grief!
Reply to
3GCPO

Call the city for a for a street turn off then fix all of them. For the in house main ive carefully used a wrench. But if yours is never used it may not shut off. On many the seat- washer can be replaced. But ball valves for replacement are forever.

Reply to
m Ransley

There will usually be a shutoff at the street although you may have to call the utility to cut it off for you and then to turn it back on again. If THAT one doesn't work it is their problem and they should fix it for you. Once you get the water cut off there you can install a working main valve and take it from there.

Reply to
John McGaw

As others suggested, you can have the water company shut off the water at the street for you. Or, you can buy a water shut-off tool like the one they use and do it yourself. I am not sure if they sell them at Home Depot, etc. It's a long metal T-shaped bar with the "key" on the end. Years ago, I bought one of them at a local plumbing supply company.

Reply to
JTM

He can do it himself but why, the city does it for free, and if he brakes the valve or if its damaged his fault or not he will may have to pay. They usualy are on 24 hr call, emergencys happen all the time.

Reply to
m Ransley

I would second the ball valves - a good quality 1/4 turn ball valve for your fixtures doesn't cost more than a couple of bucks more and will last as long as you.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Burr

Easy as falling off a log (If you're a "cost is no object" kinda guy.)

http://www.c> How is it possible to cut and cap a water line going to my bathroom that has

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I've got the same problem. Well, the main shuts off just fine, but none of the rooms in the front of the house have independent shut-offs. The kitchen lines go back into the wall... no shut-off. The bathroom lines do the same thing. Have to kill the water to the entire house before doing any work so obviously, you can't leave anything half-done overnight.

It's really frustrating.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Call a plumber and have him (her?) replace the main shutoff in the house with a new full-flow ball valve. He'll either shut off the water at the street, or freeze the line above the bad main valve so he can replace it. You should be able to install shutoffs under the sinks, toilet, etc. once you have a main shutoff that works.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

thanks for the replies to call the PWD. but I was hoping there was a way to fix it with-out turning it off at the street.

how do you freeze the line before the shut-off so it can be worked on?

Reply to
3GCPO
3GCPO wrote "thanks for the replies to call the PWD. but I was hoping there was a way to fix it with-out turning it off at the street. how do you freeze the line before the shut-off so it can be worked on?" ==================================== I think you need to call a plumber if you are asking these kinds of questions. No offense, but how many times do you want to go through this ordeal and how much do you want to practice before you get it right. Al
Reply to
call_me_al

*You* would use a wooden or styrofoam box and dry ice. A *plumber* would use a special refrigeration machine that clamps around the pipe. I wouldn't do it myself; it's quick and simple with the right equipment, but I'm afraid I would screw it up and burst the pipe, or have the ice plug break loose after I had the valve removed and no way to shut off the water. Hiring a plumber is cheap insurance for this job.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Shut it off at the meter if you have municipal water. You may have to call the city or a plumber for this or borrow a tool. If you have a well, I'll leave it too you.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Plumbing Update

thanks for the info guys and gals (and you too Artie) my plumbing skills have succeeded.

4 valves and not 1 leak. I did drain the line from the bleeder that was on the bottom of the shut-off. and used these "gel balls" to stop the water from trickling out so I could solder on the new shut-offs.

"call in a plumber"? and spend all that money for nothing. damn plumber wanted $300 for soldering on a few ball valves. highest paid tradesmen there is................everyone needs a toilet I guess.

Reply to
3GCPO

I thought you said the main valve also needed replacing because you couldn't shut it all the way off.

About 5 years ago, I paid less than $150 for a plumber to freeze the line and replace the undersized globe-valve in my basement that was being used as a main shutoff and had sprung a leak. The valve was before the meter, and the street shutoff was inaccessable. While he was waiting for the ice plug to form so he could remove the old main valve, he snaked a clogged basement drain, resoldered a union I was having trouble with, and he gave me a half a can of some professional drain cleaner stuff (very large lye crystals, I think.)

It was money well spent. The plumber said it was actually possible to replace a main valve like that without shutting off the water -- you open the new valve before you try to screw it on, then you shut it. But you better have a way of getting rid of all that water that gushes out while the end of the pipe is open.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob