Appliances

Is that your son?

Reply to
Max Demian

Sigh.

Reply to
Bob Eager

He was talking about gents apparel not washing machines Bob.

Reply to
Graham.

That's the wrong analogy.

You should be asking whether I just keep enough fuel in the tank for the next journey and no more.

Of course not, but there is a cost to hauling around fuel that's not needed.

Reply to
Graham.

Same question, except you're considering low amounts of fuel for some strange reason. I'm comparing 90% full and 25% full.

Only the time taken to refuel unnecessarily. I refuel at 1/4 full. If I lived in the middle of nowhere and didn't get anywhere near a petrol station for ages, I'd keep it at a higher level, as do many Americans.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yes, I have to remove the kicking strip to get at mine. :-(

The first time I had to have a look, it was full of fluff from a new washable doormat, and it was certainly a struggle to unscrew the cover.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

En el artículo , Adrian Caspersz escribió:

You mean a "red sock detected in white wash" indicator?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Well what I'd like to know is this. Why are washing machine filters right at ground level so you cannot get a tray under them when you open them and flood the floor? Why do vacuum cleaners need so many filters and why do they always seem to need cleaning every few weeks which has to be done outside due to the dust that would otherwise end up back in the air at home.

If we all had filtered air in our homes would it remove the need to clean things? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I suspect he is referring to a filter device such as a Magnaclean or a Fernox TF1. These are installed in the primary circulation loop, close to the return before the boiler. The better ones are combined cyclonic and magnetic filters. Their purpose is to trap any particulate and magnetite before they get into the boiler, and potentially accumulate in the (very narrow on modern boilers) water pathways of the main HE.

Probably of not much benefit on old cast iron lump boilers (although they will keep the system water cleaner). However recommended for systems with modern HE boilers.

Reply to
John Rumm

For a system of that age and type, there is probably little need. For a modern HE boiler then they are worthwhile since it takes very little sludge to block a modern HE, or a small amount of particulates will start to erode the fins on some ali HEs.

When I installed my current boiler I flushed the system very carefully until it ran perfectly clear. Its always had inhibitor. If you look at the water it appears clear as well. However the filter still captures about a table spoons worth of magnetite each year.

Reply to
John Rumm

yup same here...

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed - they don't need fitting either ;-)

I think the comment was about something like:

John Rumm

Same with my Beco. A tiny amount of lint, and an unscheduled wash for the kitchen floor.

Reply to
Graham.

"This Corgi award-winning filter combines hydrocyclonic action with powerful Neodymium magnetic assemblies, to remove magnetic and non-magnetic contaminants from system water and contain them safely within the filter."

Sounds like snake oil to me.

Reply to
Max Demian

You're forgetting dead skin cells. (Reputedly half of all household dust.)

Reply to
Max Demian

I'm told it does work quite well. A robot vac that goes round daily would probably help too.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ditto.

Same. Made a complete bollox of the housing while I was at it.

I got completely pissed off and bought a new washer. I love the new one so glad it happened.

Reply to
R D S

Brian Gaff explained :

Because the pump and drain etc. are at the bottom. Lucky if the filter is even at the front with an easy access, mine is at the rear and impossible to reach unless the machine is raised off the floor. The filter housing is rubber(?) fixed to the pump via a large jubilee clip. A thin clipped tray, such as McD's serve food on can be slid under even with the machine on the floor.

Dust from soft furnishings and clothes, skin and hair from occupants, dust and dirt brought in from outdoors, plus more brought in via leaks in the fabric.

I do wonder if an internal air circulation system might help reduce dust, maybe with a high voltage plenum system as the filter.

You only need to look around internal door frames, to see how much dust and dirt flows past them in the air.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It is a Adey Magnaclean. I like to see what it has caught.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

No job opportunities for preventive maintenance in a house.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire