Appliances

As someone who enjoys tinkering and is a bit dissapointed if the filter in the dishwasher really didn't need cleaning, it got me wondering how the hopeless and feckless get by with their appliances. I have friends who have a cleaning lady. I must ask if they get her to do these maintenance tasks.

Idle moments can be filled with cleaning the filters in the Dyson, Checking the washing machine seal for coins, checking its pump outlet, dismantling the oven to clean it, de-fluffing the tumble drier - even cleaning the Magnetic thing in the central heating and adjusting the pressure.

Do people just await a breakdown - or is there a job opportunity for a Handyman?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Two things that come to mind are I always empty the upright vacuum cleaner canister before use even it it is almost empty, and I always clean the fluff off the tumble dryer screen before use.

Reply to
Graham.

Solved by buying a henry

Checking

Solved by getting a divorce

checking its pump outlet, dismantling

Who hoinestly botheres?

de-fluffing the tumble drier

Thats what a henry is for

- even cleaning the

Holy crap batman. Don't have a magnetic thing, and thats a job for the engineer once a year

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I learned the hard way to check the pump outlet on the washing machine. It eventually stopped working, and helpfully told me why.

I couldn't get the cover on the front of the pump undone without destroying it; it was seized, and in fact there was so much muck in there it wouldn't have turned anyway.

I changed the pump. It was still a major job getting the cover off the old punmp (it involved a Dremel). I now have a serviceable spare, any way.

Reply to
Bob Eager

what's this "magnetic thing" in the central heating?

tim

Reply to
tim...

I wouldn't even know how to get to the pump outlet, on my washing machine

the only accessible parts are the door, the soap tray and a few buttons

tim

Reply to
tim...

Honestly,you really dont want to know...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , tim... writes

But at least I know where to ask :-)

Reply to
Graeme

DerbyBorn used his keyboard to write :

I do odd bits when I remember, but sometimes things get to the point of a breakdown. The washing machine broke down last week, or rather it complained enough for me to give it a service. She had twice complained that it had come to a stop mid cycle, on the third such stop I investigated.

Early in its life, I had to carry out a repair on the PCB - a capacitor going high in value due to heat - which had exhibited similar symptoms. So I was expecting a repeat performance of the same. It turned out to be just the pump out filter choked up with tissues and coins, but it involved heaving the washer out and raising it up on wooden blocks in order to drain the water remnants and get at the filter underneath and at the rear 8-o

As it was out, I gave it a good clean out and checked its condenser dryer section and found a spade terminal on it, floating about loose. Luckily we never use the dryer section, or it would have blown the fuse. So as it was apart I cleared out the fluff and gave everything else a good coat of looking at.

She had in mind, a getting new washing machine. :oÞ Nowt much wrong with it really, it looks new and it must be close to 10 years old. Better yet, I know most of its foibles.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

tim... formulated the question :

I've seen magnets clipped to steel pipes on commercial heating systems. I guess the theory is they collect rusty particals as they go past.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The "make shirts pink" button is the thing that gets me. Why can't they label it properly?

The first washing machine with an automatic undo function will sell millions.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Yup. I've got a MagnaClean on our system. Keeps down the black sludge and saves the heat exchanger.

Some have other magnets/crystals/wires attached to pipes for various voodoo treatments and avoidance of dark curses. Them be mad me thinks.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Hotpoint or similar? C17 IIRC? BTDTGTTS.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I'm not convinced, if the heating system is reasonably maintained. Ours is 36 years old, has had inhibiter in from new, has only been drained once in that time and was clear - then refilled complete with inhibiter.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yeah it should be called turn garmet into a womens garment ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Hotpoint HD(?)420 or something. It was me that worked out the issue and devised the fix. It failed just out of warrantee and they wanted £180 for a replacement PCB.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Fernox TF1 here.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I always the canister after every use, clean the fluff off the tumble dryer filter after every use.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Maybe something like this:

But they don't need cleaning and probably work by voodoo:

Max Demian

Quite a few machines have a little flap at the bottom front (if you're lucky). Behind that.

Reply to
Bob Eager