Anyone used a building notice rather than submitting plans like they did for the tower block?

Cite, please.

Reply to
Huge

Ive tried to burn regular celotex. Yeah even unto a blowtorch. Yes in time in a roaring fire it will disintegrate into a charred mess, presumably by oxidation,. but at 20% oxygen the reaction is not exothermic enough to be considered 'burning'.

The blame has to lie with the polyethylene foam rain cladding, not the insulation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So how can a new material come into use, if it doesn't pass the old tests?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Would ventilation not have been enough to solve that?

Reply to
Nick

While I agree that the professional investigators will do a better job than we all can from our armchairs, do you *actually* expect the wording in the summary paragraph of the inquiry's report to be much different from

"flammable composite cladding, cavity between insulation and cladding caused chimney effect feeding and spreading the fire"

?
Reply to
Andy Burns

Who knows but there are many items where non materiel amendments seem to be anything but.

I often wonder if anyone at planning departments can read. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Indeed, but the windows had restricted openings because the tenants threw things out of them.

Reply to
Huge

Someone else who can see into the future.

Reply to
Huge

How is it up your ivory tower? The rest of us have eyes.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It is a condition of this planning approval that any changes due to building control must come back to be approved by planning too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

But no facts. And over-active imaginations.

Reply to
Huge

Oh, indeed. Which is why it didn't happen. Unless someone didn't follow the spec, in which case they should be punished.

Reply to
Huge

If I push someone off the edge of a cliff, I can expect, with a high degree of confidence, that they will be dead in less than 30 seconds.

It's what humans do - predict the future based on available information.

Too many people seem to work to the notion "only a convened panel of experts can decide anything" when the basics are bloody obvious to the man in the pub.

Given what we *know* - that the exterior cladding was a polythene coated ali skin (banned in the USA), it was fairly obvious that the panels were at the root of the rapid spread of the fire. The details of any gaps and lack of fire breaks will need more detailed examination.

If someone had left windows open, it's also highly likely the heat from the fire outside would have set curtains alight and from there, other materials.

Reply to
Tim Watts

What no facts???

Fact 1: The fire spread up the cladding in a way that should not happen in a tower block;

Fact 2:

"Omnis Exteriors manufactured the aluminium composite material (ACM) used in the cladding, a company director, John Cowley, confirmed to the Guardian.

He also said Omnis had been asked to supply Reynobond PE cladding, which is £2 cheaper per square metre than the alternative Reynobond FR, which stands for ?fire resistant? to the companies that worked on refurbishing Grenfell Tower."

So the cladding was not fire resistant and the fire spread rapidly up the cladding.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Predicting the past should be easier, no?

Reply to
Andy Burns

This is partly why I lined my attic roof with plasterboard down to the tops of the joists. Not 100% covered, but it's the best I could do that was practical.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Oh, indeed. But we don't *know* anything much, so far. What you're doing is fantasizing, based on guesswork.

Ah, yes, the wisdom of the drunken idiot.

Wrong. Ergo everything else you've posted is wrong.

Reply to
Huge

Quite.

You've just contradicted yourself. That inspires great confidence. Not.

Reply to
Huge
[27 lines snipped]

A (functionally bankrupt) newspaper? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha[gasp]hahahahahahahahahaha

Reply to
Huge

A lot of this kind of work seems to be self-certified by trusted contractors.

Reply to
mechanic