Building Notice Completion Certificate

Received the Completion certificate for some work I was doing on a building notice. Hurrah! A bit disappointed that the description was "Internal alterations". I was expecting something with itemized work: rooflights, external doors, bathroom, etc.

Is this description correct?

Colin

Reply to
Colin

I think it should have a number on it, which relates to the number of the project, and the plans you submitted in the first place. This way when sombody checkes, they can see what works were done, and what were completed successfully.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Well done - that must be very gratifying.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

For a building notice you often don't submit any plans at all. I would imagine the BCO had no record of what was done so just used the title you described. If you submit a complete list of work done before the final check they will usually put it on the certificate after checking that they really have seen those things at some point along the way.

Reply to
Mike

My local authority do not offer completion certs for building notices, so I would not be down hearted.

They mumbled something about the only important thing was that no non-compliances were lodged at the (may be wrong here it was 2 years ago) Land Registry.

I had a bit of a tussle with them about inspections they did and then later raised issues on the stuff they had already inspected and "signed off", it was all a bit of a fiasco really ...

HTH,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

During the research for my renovation project, I am sure it says Building Notice Completion certificates are needed when it comes to selling your house later on to prove that the work had been inspected and met regulations

Tricky

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

That used to be the case with all authorities but I think you may be able to insist on one now. Trawl though the ODPM site to see if there's any guidance.

Reply to
Mike

This sounds like the answer to the problems raised by Part P. Get a completion certificate for some other work, with the vague description "Internal alterations" - and use this act as the official paper for all electrical work to date!!!

James

Reply to
James

I'll give it some thought, but I doubt it was a legal requirement when I did this work. More like solicitors wanting to tick all the boxes so there's no comeback on them during a sale.

I can prove it was inspected etc as I have all the paperwork including the fiasco related stuff, which would only prevent a very nervous person from buying my house ... the issue was the stair well clearance was 15mm short of the regulation 2m. I live in a cottage with some of the old door's at only 5'6" high so this issue would be very unlikley to deter people really.

Reply to
AlexW

Cheers I'll give the ODPM a trawl somtime.

Reply to
AlexW

I came up with that a month or so ago. I've got a completion certificate for gutting and rebuilding practically the entire house, bar the kitchen, that says "Internal reconstruction" or something. So that's anything the kitchen needs in the next couple of years covered....

Reply to
Nick Atty