Building Notice Advice???

Hi

Finally, after 10 months, it looks like my planning permission will come through. Next stage building control. I think I'll just submit a building notice, as it seems the quickest and easiest route. Are there any down-sides to this a building notice as opposed to full plans? I can't spot any...

One interesting point to note is that in Oxfordshire, Building Control do not inspect your electrical installation. They insist on you supplying them with a certificate from a competant person.

LGF

Reply to
legrandfromage

AFAIK they cannot do that! If you pay the correct fee they have to do thge inspection.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

The ODPM wrote to them all a while back telling them they should not do that.

I'll dig out a link if you want it. You could insist on them doing whatever testing they want themselves. Or ask them if they will discount you BNA fee in lieu of them not doing their job.

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Please dig out the link. I'm so excited to be finally able to get going on my project that I'm not in the mood to antagonise them, but maybe I will be soon....

They charge 70.5quid to inspect any number of replacement windows. Not too bad as I shall be replacing them all. They charge the same amount for an "electrical installation". Quite expensive for doing absolutely nothing!

LGF

Reply to
legrandfromage

The main downside is that they can come in after the event and tell you to rip it all out again.

Such insistence is unlawful.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You can be pleasant, but you should dig your heels in over spurious charges, which is what this is.

Good luck with the project.

That's not bad for doing almost sod all.

Try

the bit under:

"Local authority inspection and testing of electrical installation work in dwellings"

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Thanks!

I'm also thinking I don't have to get them involved with my garage. It'll be local stone with a tiled roof and nowhere near 30m2, though close to a boundary.

LGF

Reply to
legrandfromage

It depends whether you are D-I-Y-ing. If so, no problem. If you are employing someone to do the building work, you can get a fixed-price quote against fully-approved plans - but you can't against a Building Notice - and may end up with some extras if the BCO insists on something you weren't expecting.

Reply to
Set Square

Thanks for the advice. I'm d-i-y-ing, so perhaps I've done the right thing. I've been generous with the estimated cost (Ihope so anyway!), so if the BCO hits me with some extras, that will be the least of my worries.

LGF

Reply to
legrandfromage

But what's the relevance of that, with you being in France?

David ;-)

Reply to
Lobster