Worktops ok in garage?

I have just taken delivery of three 3m worktops which i have waited ages for but don't have time to fit before christmas. I am away until

15th January - will they be okay in my garage during this time?

It is dry in the garage but not heated so may get below freezing and the air may be damp - they seem be in shrink plastic wrap.

Any advice?

Reply to
dazzle

Be on the safe side and lay them down flat inside the house till you get back.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

They'll be ok - but store them flat, and up off the floor - maybe supported by several cross-pieces of 4x2 or similar.

Reply to
Set Square

That's the prob - cant get them inside the house - guess I might have cut them then...

Reply to
dazzle

Hi,

I had the same problem last crimbo. I decided to store them inside the house, I came to the conclusion that this will climatise (?sp?) them the house environment. I laid them on edge in the living room besides a long wall. We have the sofa against that wall so they were mostly out of sight anyway.

To avoid a "Dooh" moment; If you do go for that option then place a folded tee-towel at each end and in the middle between the work tops and the wall, so not to mark the wall. Obviously an old bed sheet etc between the worktops and the carpet.

HTHs - Oliver.

Reply to
oli4uk

Lay them flat on a series of battens to keep them off the floor and separate. So long as the battens are close enough together there'll be no problem.

-------------------------------------- o o o o o o o

-------------------------------------- o o o o o o o

-------------------------------------- o o o o o o o

------- = worktop o = battens

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks everyone for their timely advice...particularly Dave for his diagram :-)

Reply to
dazzle

| In an earlier contribution to this discussion, | dazzle wrote: |=20 | > I have just taken delivery of three 3m worktops which i have waited | > ages for but don't have time to fit before christmas. I am away until | > 15th January - will they be okay in my garage during this time? | >

| > It is dry in the garage but not heated so may get below freezing and | > the air may be damp - they seem be in shrink plastic wrap. | >

| > Any advice? |=20 | They'll be ok - but store them flat, and up off the floor - maybe = supported | by several cross-pieces of 4x2 or similar.

Note the *several* cross-pieces I once used two for some wood and it bent :-(

--=20 Dave Fawthrop Sick of Premium SMS scams, SMS marketing, Direct marketing phone calls, Silent phone calls?=20 Register with

they work :-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I left some in my Garage for 13 years (yes years!). They are in the same condition as they were when new.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark

| On 16 Dec 2005 07:40:52 -0800, "dazzle" wrote: |=20 | >I have just taken delivery of three 3m worktops which i have waited | >ages for but don't have time to fit before christmas. I am away until | >15th January - will they be okay in my garage during this time? | >

| >It is dry in the garage but not heated so may get below freezing and | >the air may be damp - they seem be in shrink plastic wrap. | >

| >Any advice? |=20 | I left some in my Garage for 13 years (yes years!). They are in the | same condition as they were when new.

Was that you on the TV, DIY disasters program? ;-)

--=20 Dave Fawthrop Register your mobile phone=20 IMEI *free* on

Keep the username and password. =20 If it gets stolen report it your provider to get it blocked. To hopefully get it back report on
or 08701 123 123.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

No. I don't get what this has to do with DIY disasters.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark

People who live for years without kitchens, bathrooms etc. because a DIY job went wrong or just stopped.

Reply to
Rob Morley

| > >Was that you on the TV, DIY disasters program? ;-) | >=20 | > No. I don't get what this has to do with DIY disasters. | >=20 | People who live for years without kitchens, bathrooms etc. because a = DIY=20 | job went wrong or just stopped.

Not if you have to live with my June ;-)

--=20 Dave Fawthrop Register your mobile phone=20 IMEI *free* on

Keep the username and password. =20 If it gets stolen report it your provider to get it blocked. To hopefully get it back report on
or 08701 123 123.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I'd store them on their edges, with bits of wood underneath, ensuring they are flat.

sponix

Reply to
sponix