Electrical - Building Control Notice

Because I'm not convinced that Local Authorities know the correct process or apply it consistantly I want to be sure of the facts regarding the correct procedure for Building Control Notice.

This is my understanding :- I submit a Building Control Notice (Including fee of =A3170) stating that I am going to make some Modifications and Changes to the Electrical wiring. The BCN form only has two lines to state "Descrition of work" so I plan to attach a loose sheet that briefly outlines the work. Does that sound OK ?

1) I then complete to first fix and inform Local Authority.

2) LA send someone out to inspect.

3) I complete 2nd fix and inform LA.

4) LA send someone out to inspect.

Now the questions :- Do I fill out the BS7671 forms or should I expect the LA person to do this ? Do I submit any parts of the BS7671 form before work commences ? What if we disagree on some issue ( I can't think of an example but I'm afraid I just don't trust these people to play ball ) My thoughts are that the LA will say their man has not signed off the installation so they won't issue a completion certificate and if I contact the electrical man directly he will say "you will have to take it up with the LA because I'm working on there behalf not yours. Maybe I'm being paranoid but where do I go then ......??

Is this process clearly defined somewhere, so if I get a Building Inspector who tries to impose his personal interpretation of the rules I can quote the facts with confidence.

Reply to
ac1951

To use a vulgar term (which is something I do quite regularly), you are pissing in the wind.

they don't care.

I'd be surprised if anyone looked at it at all....and if, and it's a very big 'if', someone actually did inspect it, it would be once only and he would have less of a clue about electrical installations as a cavedweller....I'm not saying this as a slur on LA employees, the fact is, they're not interested in implementing Part P, or any other 'parts' and they will send the bloke who normally sweeps up the staff car park, or the tealady's husband, if he's not signing on that day.

Moral of the story is to keep the £170 and just do the work - you obviously know more about it than any of the so-called 'inspectors'.

but I've a feeling you will pay up and everything will be fine, which it also will be if you don't.

Reply to
Phil L

Thanks for the honest opinion and based on my experience of trying to get a BCN sign-off when I had an extension built on my house I'm inclined to agree with you. (and that's an area where they claim to have a good knowledge) On two occassions they sent, what appeared to me as a, very young in-experienced guy to do the inspections and basically he talked "bo***cks". Not that it bothered them it just meant I had to keep getting the builder to explain things in writing to a rediculous level of detail. Wasted my time, money and really p

****d me off.
Reply to
ac1951