Grand designs 20-FEB-2007

Hi, we're your new neighbours, it seems half your garden has fallen in this huge pit we've just dug for our house, sorry we're not insured for that, can you clain on your insurance? Thanks!

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , Andy Burns writes

Did I miss something ?

(at least I copied it)

Reply to
geoff

Oh and we'll be blocking your frontal view when the house is finished.

Reply to
George

You still stuck in the past?

Reply to
George

I have to say even though I dislike modern houses and prefab boxes in particular I quite liked that one, but not the end price

-
Reply to
Mark

The house is superinsulated.

They laugh about another house built using the same system having a gas bill of £3.08 for a winter quarter.

There is what appeared to be a colour-matched Aga.

What happens to all the heat emitted by the Aga? Does the whole house become as hot as an oven?

Reply to
Rod

Yeah, I did notice that, I wish I could say it was a typo, rather than a thinko.

Reply to
Andy Burns

What sort of kit was it? SIP panels? The house looks good from the web site. I like it.

How much did it cost? IKEA make kits now. I like them - apart from the instructions.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Timber SIP panels, one of which appeared to include a front door and window ! The insulation was wood shavings produced during the building of the house - very neat. The basement was prefab concrete panels, which appeared to contain a cavity cross-tied with lots of metal wires. The final cost which they would not admit was probably way over 1 million. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

If they're anything like the Huf house in the previous series, they come glazed, "doored" and with much of the internal fixtures and fittings in place.

This is the way houses *should* be built.

We reckoned closer to 1.5 mill. And once again, they were let down by the British contractors.

Reply to
Huge

High cost probably because of groundworks on the sloping site. On a flat site SIP panels are very economical.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Most of it would have been groundworks, architects (2 of them !) and some of the very expensive fittings inside. I would be interested to know the price for the prefabricated house itself. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Since the other insurance company did pay it would seem the landslip was caused by the exceptional rain rather than their works.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That was my reasoning as well. Fortunate, though!

Reply to
Clot

I imagine the way was smoothed by the Ch4 producer, otherwise they'd still be waiting for the court case to start.

Reply to
Huge

If that were the case I'd have expected a mention of the actual insurance company. 100,000 quid buys a fair amount of advertising.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Could have done with some gabions or similar in there.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Or a case of "If you don't agree to settle we'll tell all the viewers about your lousy service" ?

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Talkback Thames are *very* wary about taking on big names for no good reason. They got hammered after mentioning Portacabin on 'The Bill' in a derogatory way. At the end of the day it serves no purpose - except in the correct type of consumer prog.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was just guessing, but I cannot see why it went so smoothly. In my experience of insurance companies, there's no way they would have simply rolled over and paid up in those circumstances.

Reply to
Huge