Fire bowl on a wood deck

I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck. Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and the paint showed some localized discoloration.

I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?

Reply to
Smitty Two

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:11:59 -0800, Smitty Two wrote Re Fire bowl on a wood deck:

A 3 or 4 decorative bricks?

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Asbestos

Reply to
dadiOH

Because of the lack of common sense of most modern humans, a local city has outlawed any kind of grill or open flame on the wooden decks of any of the numerous apartment complexes in that city. "Drunk Grilling" has been responsible for the loss of homes for many apartment dwellers in that municipality. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

A wood burner? If it was my house, you'd move the fire pit 30' from the house on the masonry patio.

If it is a gas burner, then I'd do what the manufacturer said to do to protect nearby combustible surfaces.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

So, the manufacturer says not to, and you're still determined? Sounds unsafe, to me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Especially since you wrote, "I'm planning to have larger fires", it seems like a bad idea (of course).

But, if you still want to do it, maybe you could just place the fire bowl on top of a layer of landscape pavers similar to these:

Ron

I have a gas grill on the deck, but I'm not putting any wood burners there. It is not just underneath, but the surrounding area if a coal fall out or sparks fly, etc. I have a small wood burning pit that I use for grilling and it is on the lawn, away from the garage and deck. There should also be a fire extinguisher nearby too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yep. My recommendation also. They're cheap and you can buy them everywhere.

nb

Reply to
notbob

No. But unless you mortar them together you leave a place for an invisible ember to lurk on your deck that will wait until there is no-one around to smoke enough to be found before damage is done.

[not to mention flying embers that close to your house--

If it is 10x10 or so you'd eliminate the burning embers falling our of the pit--- but nothing will help when your drunken brother-in-law decides to toss a giant log on top of that pine that he had going in there. Get your wood fire away from the house.

[just for giggles- see if you can find out what your homeowner's insurance has to say about fire pits in general, and fire pits on a wood deck. Might be a good time to just cancel the policy if they aren't going to cover your most likely source of disaster.]]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I think they would.

Maybe metal spaced above the deck with fire bricks on it.

Like others, my main recommendation is don't do it.

Reply to
bud--

Get a square of the board that is used behind tiles (forget the name) Spray paint it Put it under the fire bowl It will act as an insulator

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

What the heck kinda fire you gonna build? Texas A&M fire!? We gotta cheapo firebowl thingy I can use on our deck. I don't, but it's small enough that I could.

nb

Reply to
notbob

In your original post, you stated:

"... and the directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck."

Here's a link to our local fire pit ordinance. Note line item 2. Your town's ordinance may vary.

Sigmund Freud

Make an 8 sided frame out of 1X2s 3,maybe 5 no make it 7 feet across, put filter cloth on the deck inside the frame, and fill it with sand. Duel purpose, cat's will love it.....

Reply to
Mr. Austerity

Well, let's see now...

Iron melts at 1536 C. Iron can be smelted with wood fires (OK, they add some air; you never have a breeze?). Lava runs 700 C - 1200 C. I've watched many trees burst into flame - damn near explode - when overrun with lava.

Yep, I think pavers could catch your deck on fire.

Reply to
dadiOH

I haven't seen the question asked yet: how close to the house will the fire bowl be? Got vinyl siding? I'd ask the local FD about fire bowls on wood decks...probably some reliable info there. Allowing some heat penetration onto a painted surface probably brings other concerns.

Reply to
Norminn

Most gas appliances are designed to be operated on a wood floor.

Often they have thermal safety devices that shut off the supply of gas if the appliance overheats.

Reply to
Sigmund Freud

About 50 feet of air.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

And they are specifically designed and tested for their typical operating locations.

Reply to
George