Any views on akes if reciprocating saw?

Folks

I am looking for a decent corded recip saw costing less than £150, and have narrowed it down to Bosch, Hitachi and DeWalt.

Bosch seems to offer more gadgets (360 degree adjustable blade etc) while the others have slightly bigger motors (1000w as opposed to 900w).

Any views on the quality or reliability of these makes?

TIA - Adam

Reply to
Adam Lipscombe

have narrowed it down to Bosch, Hitachi and DeWalt.

the others have slightly bigger motors (1000w

I would check out sites that review alot of them, there are a few. If I was looking I would want a Lazer. I dont know if you ger Ridgid over there in that old country but they have a lifetime warranty, here they are sold at Home Depot

Reply to
ransley

What sort of reciprocating saw? There are ones with long blades (like the ill fated B&D Scorpian - at least in earlier versions) and ones with short blades. Then there are twin blade types where the cutters go in opposite directions. What use do you intend it for?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its the standard sort like this:

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=hitachi+reciprocating+sawI looked at the twin blade types like the tyrannosaw but the problem with these is that generic blades are not available, and the manufactures blades are pretty expensive.

Its for cutting up scrap wood for wood burners and the wood can be full of fasteners - knackering blades is quite possible.

Cheers - Adam

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Reply to
Adam Lipscombe

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=hitachi+reciprocating+saw>>> I looked at the twin blade types like the tyrannosaw but the problem with

You'd be there for an eternity cutting up lumber for wood burning stove with an recip saw I'd op for a decent chop saw at least it will be faster and far easier to cut the wood up.

Reply to
George

OK thanks....

what happens if the blade hits rusty nail or similar? Isn't there a possibility that it might shatter?

Cheers - Adam

George wrote:

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=hitachi+reciprocating+saw>>>>>> I looked at the twin blade types like the tyrannosaw but the problem with

Reply to
Adam Lipscombe

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=hitachi+reciprocating+sawRight.

Is it pretty small cross section wood? Those saws wouldn't really work with the average log. I got a Makita one which was on offer at Screwfix early in the year. It's ok for the things it's good at - but IMHO slow for rough cutting. I'm sure others who do this sort of thing might have thoughts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

this blade with a hitachi chop saw

cost around £170.00 but you could do cheaper by buying used saw always available on ebay

have used the above hitachi chop saw now for some 8 years and it is still going strong,havecut aluminium no problem ,havealso used the aboce bladesin my hitachi circular saw with good effect I agree a recip would be hard work,i have a hitachi 24volt one and it does ok within limits.

Reply to
ALex

They are all pretty good IME. You need one with tool less blade change, and ideally a pendulum/orbital action if you want fast cutting. These may be out of your price range though.

John Rumm

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=hitachi+reciprocating+saw>>>>>> I looked at the twin blade types like the tyrannosaw but the problem with

I was felling conifers with a cheap £15 sabre saw.. it takes about 20 seconds to cut through a 4-5 inch trunk. Not much slower than a bow saw and a lot less effort.

I did use a sliding miter saw to cut up the logs later.

Reply to
dennis

I'd go along with that. I've got an el cheapo SF Titan reciprocating saw & use el cheapo Aldi blades.

Easier to get into some spaces than a bow saw as well.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman