Any decent impact driver offers at the moment?:

Ok, I've narrowed things down a bit after doing some digging. Currently looking at:

1)
Makita Twin speed drill with chuck, 24Nm 90Nm impact driver Two 10.8v Li bats fugly ;-)

130 quid

2)
speed drill, no chuck, 18Nm 100Nm impact driver Two 10.8v Li bats

3)

Makita Twin speed drill with chuck, 30Nm

125Nm impact driver Three 12v 1.3Ah Ni-Cd bats

Views? As much as I like the look of the bosch, I think I want a real chuck (and yes, I could get one to add but that's another 20 quid and is a bit of a bodge). So I'm down to the two Makitas - one seems to be the new shiny Li batteries, one the old world Ni-Cds (although 3 Ni-Cds).

Am I right in thinking the White Makita range (the first option) is the new "budget" range from Mak? I'm tempted by the third option even though it's a little more than I really wanted to spend... Help!

Darren

Reply to
dmc

> Bosch

> Blue Makita

I don't think the Makita white colour signifies that it is a budget range. They did an Anniversary Special of the 18V Li combi drill which is the same price (maybe even a fiver dearer) than the blue version.

Before going for the Makita 10.8V twin pack I considered how I use my existing tools. I was also considering the Makita 18V Li BHP452RFX Aniversary special.

I currently I have:-

Bosch (green) 12V drill driver. Part of a set with a torch and air compressor. This had two Ni-cad battery packs of which one is US now and the other is on its way out. This was the first drill I went for general drill/driving as it is lighter that the others.

B&D (orange) 12V combi drill The single Ni-Cad battery pack no longer keeps a charge and it does not stand on the battery without falling over.

JCB 18V combi cheapo drill This was an impulse purchase which only cost 30 quid. Can't go wrong I thought. I was wrong. The chuck does not self lock and when trying to drill a 10mm in steel, could not get the chuck to grip the drill without it slipping. It doesn't have a comfortable grip either. I am considering ripping out the Ni-cads to repair one of the Bosch batteries.

Makita TD020DSE Impact driver. Mixed feelings about this. Got it for 30 quid with two batteries so was a real bargain but it is single speed (no load speed of 2300rpm) can be an issue. I also find the length a bit of a problem getting the bit to engage in the screws.(shaky hand). OTOH its length can be an advantage in confined spaces.

I pondered for a while on whether to go for the more expensive lighter Li option or the cheaper heavier Ni-cads. Eventually, I decided that I was prepared to pay extra for lighter weight and the lower self discharge rate of the Li batteries. The failing NiCads of my existing drills sealed the decision. Time will tell how Li batteries perform after a few years of light DIY use.

The 10.8V Makita twin pack feels solid an not too heavy. The 10.8V drill/driver can cope with most of my needs and is nice to use.

Later, in a moment of irrational thinking I splashed out on the Makita BHP452RFX 18V Li combi Drill which is so much better than the JCB and you can never have too many tools. I sneaked it in to the house when senior management wasn't looking but it has now been spotted. I should have got the white version and maybe she wouldn't have noticed.

Archie

Reply to
Archie

>>> Bosch

>>> Blue Makita

Should have said, the 20 pounds off the Makita 10.8V twin pack from tools4trade was a clincher. I never could resist a bargain.

Reply to
Archie

Never found it a problem - it only runs fast until the screw is nearly home then slows down as the impact mechanism starts working. Or the reverse when undoing. Just requires a bit of practice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought the new white signified the new range with Li-Ion. Don't think its a budget range at all.

I have the third option, been in daily use for nearly three years. Simply can't fault either.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And I thought it was something to do with being actually manufactured in Japan.

Just how many of us can be wrong? :-)

Reply to
Rod

I read that on here I thought. Dunno really. Certain there are blue Makita Li-ion drills though

example.

That's a pretty good reccomendation and conveniently, Screwfix have just sent me a 10% off voucher. I think that clinches it, I'll get option 3 :-)

Cheers all,

Darren

Reply to
dmc