Anti virus

This is the problem, even the non-dodgy websites could get infected with something, and without AV, you wouldn't know if the payload was some kind of bot!

Reply to
Toby

Just to follow up on the free firewalls: I found that the Zone Alarm security system wasn't compatible with Firefox, although I'm not sure whether that was the whole system including the AV component, or whether it also meant the firewall on its own. I then tried Windows 7 Firewall Control from Sphinx Software, but couldn't get on with it; the alert sound was alarming (but probably switch-offable; I never got that far!), and I found it a pain to use. I then tried Tinywall, and it's a dream. Easy to use and does all I want. It isn't for WinXP though, so not for the OP, and does require Windows .net installed. See tinywall.pados.hu/features.php and tinywall.pados.hu/faq.php Much recommended, see

Chris Hogg

I've used Netvada's SafetyNet on Windows XP for years.

See

AnthonyL