Anti virus

In message , polygonum writes

Hmmm, I have to turn MSE off to get reliable audio performance with recording and editing software.

I get peaks of kernel timer latency and hard page fault resolution time (whatever they are). To get these down to sensible levels on a Thinkpad, I have to disable wifi and MSE. Only then can it be trusted to record reliably.

Reply to
Bill

Norton IS a virus.Try and get rid of it.

Reply to
F Murtz

Well I'm one. Just don't read E-Mails on your Windows machine and don't go to dodgy websites. I've got some pretty old XP installations and they're all uninfected to the best of my knowledge. All my E-Mail and web browsing is done on Linux, I just have the XP installs for the odd MS Office file that isn't displayed right in LibreOffice and for HMRC and for my Epson scanner drivers.

Reply to
cl

FWIW, my Epson scanner (V300 photo) works just fine under Ubuntu.

Reply to
Huge

Aye. The guys I'm talking about are IT savvy, so I assume that they practise more or less what you do.

Reply to
Bod

A well known Internet God uses AVG. The 11th Commandment is that Norton is a pile of shit.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I do as well. I've never had a virus. I still run MSE, though, because it's no trouble and it's free.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

It is better than it used to be, but the fact remains that its mega overkill and in no way will work any better than other products, free or otherwise. In all cases you could just be one of the very first to encounter a bit of malware that nobody else has seen yet and get infected. Anti virus software is reactionary, so it can only be by having reports of problems that new scanning and removal systems come into the products. In the meantime find a product that is system lite and has a lot of users and you should be fine

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Norton...had it...never again! Very hard to get rid of. McAfee...had it...never again! Wasn't content to run quietly in the background, always wanting to big itself up.

AVG Good Malwarebytes... Very good.

mark

Reply to
mark

My V700 does too but the windows software for it has some nice auto-correction of scanned slide colours which is very useful when scanning old slides.

Reply to
cl

run em through the Gimp.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fairy Nuff.

Reply to
Huge

Peter Norton was Peter Norton.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

So far as I know, Peter Norton still is Peter Norton.

Reply to
polygonum

Mr Pounder :

It's difficult to argue with that.

I can still picture that photo on the cover of _Programmer's Guide to the IBM PC_: pink shirt, sleeves rolled half way up forearms, arms folded, tie loosened, smug expression on face. Damned useful book, though.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

In 1995 he really was Peter Norton.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Peter Norton sold his PC software business to Symantec Corporation in 1990.

Reply to
alan

That certainly woke everyone up:-)

I leave this desk top running so start up delay is not an issue. I also don't let Norton do auto updates.

On a Google search, I like the green *safe site* button.

The business pays the annual fee so not hugely painful.

I may encourage my wife to use the Microsoft offering for her currently unguarded laptop though.

As no one has actively vetoed the upgrade I may try it next time it pops up.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Grey hair.

I once had DOS For Dummies. Some yank. I read it twice. It still did not explain why the h/d on my Amstrad 1640 was f***ed.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

The "Sticky Head" problem, nothing to do with DOS. Amscrap used cheap HDs with a lubricant inside the unit that used to stick the heads to the platter. After a while, the HD wouldn't spin up. The quick cure was to tap the drive to shock the heads free, copy everything off it, and replace it with a decent one.

Reply to
John Williamson