Another striking success for wind

Which just now is producing 0.63% of national electricity requirements. About the same as during the last two days.
Anyone know where the country applies for a refund?
--
"Please stop telling us what you feel. Please stop telling us what your
intuition is. Your intuitive feelings are of no interest whatsoever,
On 31/10/16 09:41, Tim Streater wrote:

But Solar too is doing 2.7GW or so midday. The Planet is Saved! Nothing in the late evenings of course.
..I'd spend it on drink.
On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 10:41:32 +0100, Tim Streater

I know harry has run up a fair tab with me here for his solar FIT theft thing, you know, how much I've paid him compared with how much electricity he's allowed out onto the grid (for any of us).
I wonder if he was an only child as they can often have difficulty with the concept of sharing and 'playing fair'? ;-(
Cheers, T i m
On Monday, 31 October 2016 11:17:54 UTC, T i m wrote:

Over 80% of what I generate is exported. I am not an only child. My brother lives in Oz.
On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 11:57:00 -0700 (PDT), harry

Proof?
And cheaper (to the rest of us) than the *proper* power stations can generate it?

Hmmm ...

He couldn't get much further away from you could he! ;-)
Cheers, T i m

You mean you export it to your brother in Oz?
--
"Once you adopt the unix paradigm, the variants cease to be a problem - you
bitch, of course, but that's because bitching is fun, unlike M$ OS's, where

I wouldn't be surprised as I'm sure he would wring the last penny out of us if he could.
How heavy are supercapacitors to post? ;-)
Cheers, T i m
Yes winds at the moment are very low indeed. The thing is without efficient power storage, wind is always going to be inconveniently producing when we don't want it and not when we do. Probably much the same can be said of solar as well. Its about time the genetisists got the plant based electricity generation system up and running, no shortage of weeds here whether its sunny windy quiet or raining! Brian
--
----- -

And as there's no prospect of power storage at anything like the required levels, this rules out wind/solar as useful methods of generating power. So perhaps we'd better not build any.
Oh.
--
"Once you adopt the unix paradigm, the variants cease to be a problem - you
bitch, of course, but that's because bitching is fun, unlike M$ OS's, where
On Monday, 31 October 2016 17:22:59 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:

How come nobody slags off coal though?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtsCIstXEAAxl9Y.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvrIvoQXgAAQo5m.jpg

Why should anyone slag off coal?
On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 17:28:15 +0100, Tim Streater

Did us proud for nearly 130 years! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deptford_Power_Station
--

Chris

And I think (and more to the point) that no one is trying to promote coal (especially these days) as anything other than 'a solution', that whist may not be 'green' (whatever that really means etc), *is* (or has been) fairly predictable in how it can be used to generate electricity.
Consuming huge amounts of energy and producing huge amounts of pollution to create an energy solution that is *never* dependable really does seem like a step backwards.
Now, if someone is able to predict a world wide electricity grid where interconnected alternative (as non of them are ever really green) energy supplies can actually and reliably power the entire worlds energy needs and when there are no other (and greener) alternatives then I don't think we should be expending such energy in the first place.
But we all know it's little to do with energy but politics and a minority of people parasiting the majority (harry), simply to line their own pockets.
Cheers, T i m
On Monday, 31 October 2016 17:56:23 UTC, T i m wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwkAVglXcAAySv9.jpg

Too bad it can't produce this 7 x 24 x 365 then, isn't it. What started this thread was my reporting that wind was producing fuck all (250MW or so) which it did for three days solid.
Actually it's worse than that: I'm told we now have 14GW of wind capacity (BICBW), so it's still not very good.
Meanwhile reliable old nuclear goes on shoving out 8GW 7 x 24 x 365, come rain or shine (or neither).
--
"People don't buy Microsoft for quality, they buy it for compatibility
with what Bob in accounting bought last year. Trace it back - they buy
Tim Streater wrote:

Like or dislike wind and other green-ish energy sources, data about them is always useful, I hadn't noticed this one before, it's not a source of live data, but cleanly presented version of data from elsewhere
<http://www.variablepitch.co.uk/categories
On 06/11/16 11:44, Andy Burns wrote:

Well Drax is in the wrong category since half Drax now burns biomass.
Casts doubt on how up to date the data is.
twenty-first century’s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Why? It's under the category "fuelled" with a footnote that OFGEM defines this as "On large scales this is usually a mixture of coal and biomass."
On 31/10/2016 16:28, Tim Streater wrote:

Aberfan?