Another reason to avoid having an electric car.

I got the impression, from other discussions on the subject, that most EVs could use the 50kW charges that supermarkets are putting in.

Reply to
nightjar

But that will be DC charging.

Reply to
Steve Walker

If they?re 50kW, then they?re DC, not AC. In my limited experience, whilst some supermarkets may have a 50kW DC chargers, none near me do and the majority of their charge points are 7kW AC.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I think it was an announcement of future plans, rather than a statement of existing facilities I saw in the business news.

Reply to
nightjar

The equivalent technique would be to isolate the wheel motors if they have one motor per wheel, or isolate the central motor

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But are most public chargers DC? If not a 20 minute planned wait could turn into an overnight?

Reply to
Scott

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net>, at 07:57:06 on Wed, 1 Dec 2021, Tim+ snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com remarked:

Yes, that's what my Sainsbury's has had the last two or three years (and I still almost never see anyone plugged in)

Tesco had some installed a month ago, and they are being used. Just one of them is 22kW. It's the first one I've seen with multiple choice.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Half shafts only really exist on cars with a rigid rear axle - most these days have independent suspension. So drive shafts rather than half shafts. But even with a rigid rear axle, it depends on design whether the half shafts can be removed and the wheels left.

It would generally be easier to remove the prop shaft.

But most manual gearbox old cars can be safely towed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I find it very hard to believe that EV designers haven't taken into consideration an EV might be towed.

A motor with permanent magnets will produce an emf, but would be the same value where the car is coasting in normal use. So it wouldn't be that difficult to add a towing feature where clearly no component would be subjected to normal voltages greater than through normal use.

Reply to
Fredxx

Leafs are needed for starting the horse, yes.

Theo

Reply to
Theo