Another question about security cameras

Thanks to contributors this board, my telly will now see the (very good) images from my cheap Ebay miniature security camera.

Also thanks to you lot, I have discovered that my Logitech webcam software has the capability for motion detection. Question is, is this software compatable with the miniature camera? The cam has a phono connection, so at the very least I would need a phono to USB connector. Will it work though?

Also, If I left the 'putor on for two weeks whilst I am away, would the motion-detected images gobble up all available disc space?

Reply to
Paper2002AD

You'll have to have a look at the software settings.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You cannot plug the camera into the USB directly by just the use of a physical connection adapter - even if one was available. You would need to use a video capture device such as a dedicated capture card or a TV card or graphics card that incorporates the option of analogue video capture. (a search on ebay would probably find a cheap capture card) The Logitech software would have been designed for their webcam - so it is unlikely to work with any capture card.

Some motion detection software can automatically compress the images to save space - the amount of compression you choose will affect the image quality. Also, some software can be set to either stop capturing or overwrite the oldest images first when little disk space is left. Depending on the software used,compression and capture settings and how much actual motion is captured etc, it may be possible to save many weeks of JPEG images in less than 10Gb of disk space.

Dave

Reply to
logized

Don't think so. I'm not an expert, but I don't think USB handles any analogue signals.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)