Insulation for barn conversion

Hi all,

Does anyone have any suppliers of budget / recycled stud wall and ceiling insulation. It seems that every 5 minuites the regs are changed and soon houses may have to be twice as large to accomodate all the insulation. Any tips / supliers appreciated.

Regards

Reply to
vivienne wykes

There's a lot by a similar name down south (Kent) but not as useful.

If you are doing a high barn roof where you can afford to loose some space, ask if the've got any more of the 110/120mm non foil covered Kingspan sheets left. I bought a barnload at £10/sheet and overlapped them to give almost

10" thick insulation up there, then simply skimmed the lot with Easyfill.
Reply to
G&M

10"? Not enough.
Reply to
IMM

Ask your local farmer for some sheeps wool, raw off the sheep it won't meet regas as its not "measurable", but its well cheep.

If you want low size use celotex/kingspan, but its expensive. As normal shop arround.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Yes it is. Go and do the maths again - this time using metric measurements - 240 mm !

0/10
Reply to
G&M

There's an approved U value for it now so it does meet the regs. I think it was SPAB who got it measured as it's used in lots of old buildings - but you need an awful lot of it.

Also it must be properly prepared first. Don't put it on "off the sheep". We get £2/fleece - I would be interested to see what people pay for it at the other end of the chain.

Reply to
G&M

If you make an appropriate framework, and pack the sheep in really tight, you can even have free heating. Probably best to have them facing inwards. You'll get through a lot of feed though.

Reply to
Ian Stirling