(Another) freezer problem

Currently the 18 year old under counter freezer in the kitchen seems to not go below -17C ...

Have just jiggled the contents around a bit - it's about half full.

Not sure if there's much more to do. It's certainly not frosted up.

I don't think it's ever been pulled out, so could the radiator fins need a damn good dusting ?

It never ****ing rains, eh ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

-17 is colder than my Liebherr fridge freezer manages without also solidifying everything in the fridge section.

Reply to
Andrew

Could be dirty fins, if you are lucky although I've never seen one that bad, even one we had for 20+ years in the shed the a garage.

Is the seal still good? Under the counter suggests a door, if it isn't sealing that won't help, although I would expect ice/frost to from.

I'm assuming it hasn't got a temp setting you can't see that has got moved?

The worst option is probably loss of coolant. Resealing and refilling isn't impossible but whether it is cost effective...

Reply to
Brian Reay

Is it running continuously?

If it is consider new. If not them perhaps find the thermostat? Adjust or renew? I might also get another temperature measuring device before doing anything extreme.

-17C isn't a particularly bad temperature.

Reply to
Fredxx

No my freezer on the fridge was only -15 new and varies between -18 and -13. Its a frost free design and seems quite competent at freezing stuff. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Frost free (shit) go on defrost and the temperature will raise. -18 is not all that bad, try to jack it up to -22.

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

How accurate is your temperature measuring device? You may find that it has a specification no better than +/-2C for accuracy. I have a temperature transmitter in my freezer with the receiver recording minimum and maximum temperatures. Over a period of around a month the reading have changed between -17C and -19C.

Thermometer

or

Note: I found that for the transmitters located in my fridge and freezer AA size lithium batteries worked most reliably. Example:

OT. For obvious reasons postage delivery times seem very variable at the moment. I've had next day delivery from various couriers but Royal Mail

48 hour can be a week.
Reply to
alan_m

All good points. However there is an alarm light on the panel which is now on, so clearly Something Wrong.

See if we can limp on for a day or two, until the holidays over.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Is it frost free or frosting? That makes a major difference. The other big question is does the compressor now run nonstop?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

So, finally got round to pulling freezer out and boy! was the fan for the cooling coils at the bottom choked. Seriously choked. Completely defluffed (including removing the fan to clean the venturi to the coils) and reassembled.

Waited 24 hours and powered on. Currently sitting at -15C after 2 hours, so hopefully there's some life left.

Kind of a prompt to perhaps open all the PC cases and defluff them too ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Currently running at -27C. I've never seen it this cold.

Look forward to slushy limoncello later :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk