Fridge-freezer, freezer ranges -10C to -28C?

Indesit fridge-freezer; 3.5 years old. In the last two days I have noticed that the freezer part ranges between about -10C to -28C --- from noting what a separate thermometer reads when I open the door.

I was alerted to it via a (separate) freezer alarm; thus the behaviour is at least somewhat abnormal for the unit, though I have not manually monitored the temperature before.

Nor have I ever monitored the temperature in the fridge, which now I notice sometimes has ice on its inside back panel (when the freezer is coldest) and sometimes water droplets (when the freezer is warmest).

It's in the kitchen, the temperature of which may swing between +10C and

+20C.

My local appliance repair man has just left; he says relax and leave it as it is and to blame the relatively cold weather that we have been experiencing and that they have recently had loads of similar reports.

Any ideas? Should I be concerned? Maybe I can keep the freezer colder by setting the fridge thermostat lower (colder)?

In the meantime I have transferred the contents of the freezer to small chest freezer (a much better freezer solution IMHO, but I just don't have the space for it as a permanent solution.)

TIA,

Jon C.

Reply to
Jonathan Campbell

Is it as I suspect a frost free? Its no good as it is, get someone who can fix it..

NT

Reply to
meow2222

[...]

No, not frost free (on the advice, when buying, of the same repair man

-- too much to go wrong).

Jon C.

Reply to
Jonathan Campbell

Single compressor?

The overnight cold may not be letting the fridge part warm up enough and thus starting the compressor to cool both sections. Common problem, look at the rating plate and the part for "Class" it'll be a letter or two letter combination. Google is then your friend to translate that into the enviromental temperature range that the unit is designed to handle.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Check the instructions. You'll probably find it's not designed to work below 10°C, the consequence of which is that the fridge doesn't need enough cooling to keep the freezer cold enough.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

meant to say 16°C

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

[...]

Yes,from the instructions: "If the room temperature remains below 14C for an extended period ... the freezer will not reach the temperatures required ... storage life will be shorter."

Certainly, the same temperature conditions would have occurred frequently during the past few winters; OTOH, I may not have had the alarm in place (installed I thought more than a year ago, but maybe not).

But nonetheless would one expect such large swings of temperature in the freezer? Yes, the -10C is explained, but why the -30C? I'm thinking of my previous f-f. which had a temperature readout on the freezer; that seemed to stay at a constant -18C. Had that a separate freezer compressor? I don't know.

Are there fridge-freezers which are less subject to such problems? Separate compressors?

In any case, I needlessly keep far too much food for far too long in the freezer (three supermarkets within walking distance); maybe that is the main lesson for now.

Many thanks,

Jon C.

Reply to
Jonathan Campbell

There was a thread here? recently. Even stand alone freezers now have problems in cold areas. May be because greenhouse gases are no longer used. There are freezers that will apparently run in cooler temperatures but I have no idea where you should look. Hopefully someone else will.

Reply to
Invisible Man