Freezer problem

Our freezer has packed in and I've just thrown out the contents.

It's a 50cm wide 'under the counter' Bush freezer kept in the cellar. Previously, it was very little used - peas, ice, occasional ice cream and for chilling wine. A few weeks ago I filled it with junk stuff for lockdown, and it was certainly working two weeks ago. It's only three years old.

Plugtop fuse is fine as is power socket but there's no current drawn.

Normally, for the sake of £130 I'd just get another, but Argos aren't delivering. Maybe somewhere else is?

What's the most likely problem? It's a very simple device, no electronics, no lights or manual switches, just a thermostat control.

I was almost looking forward to the frozen junk food.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Can you hear anything running? Is the motor hot?

If neither, then could be o/c motor to failed thermostat or failed switch. Many have motor protection which could also have failed.

In short, could be anything without more info.

Reply to
Fredxx

Try ao.com

BUT they will only deliver, or collect old appliances, to/from the door step - they currently will not enter the house.

Reply to
alan_m

As long as Clive isn't self-isolating, they will take it inside the front door, or into the kitchen if it's a big american F/F

"If you?re self-isolating then we?re now only able to deliver products to your doorstep. Otherwise, we?ll come into your home but only deliver to behind your main door. There are some exceptions ? if you select our installation service, we?ll still deliver American Fridge Freezers and cooking products to any room"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Also have most of their range of freezers out of stock when I looked the other day.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well if its not actually switching on, I guess the motor or the thermostat? If its really that simple. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Could be the stat, wiring or compressor. You need a multimeter really, but could trace the problem using a torch to test for conductivity.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

The fault could be anything from the sensor to the compressor, including the starter circuitry. Although the motor side of compressors seem reliable. It could be as simple as a ?dry joint? , a poke around wouldn?t do any harm if you turn the power off an feel able.

As for suppliers, try John Lewis.

Also, as the cellar is probably unheated, check what ever you buy is suitable for use in unheated areas. The John Lewis one we bought is, as is the one middle daughter bought. From memory they come with a longer guarantee and price is no more than other shops.

We?ve used Currys in the past- our previous chest freezer came from them. It lasted 20+ years, no complaints. Cheap and cheerful. We?ve used them since for other things, delivery seems reliable but they do try to sell their warranties- even when the product has a 5 year warranty.

Reply to
Brian Reay

<snip>

Reply to
Andrew

Did a Hamster tip it on its side while your back was turned ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Thanks, I was hoping that there might be a common fault. It's taking no current (so nothing getting warm or making noises), so a switch (including thermostat) is a best guess.

I'll take another look.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

In fact it does take current, quite a lot. After plugging in it takes about 2.8A but nothing runs, then after a few seconds there's a faint click and the current drops to zero.

So I'm thinking the motor protection switch is doing its job, and maybe the motor is seized, or maybe the motor capacitor is faradically challenged.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

In a past life I used to repair them. Sorry to say this - it's knackered.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire
<snip>

We didn't do that because I was concerned there might be power cuts, so bought a few more tinned / dried foods instead.

Was nothing saved? Some stuff would have lasted for some time in the fridge once defrosted?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If you can find one externally I would remove and measure. They're not expensive to replace.

On the other hand I don't recall seeing one on a freezer?

Reply to
Fredxx

I so happens I have some 1.5uF 1.3kV polysomething caps, so I replaced the 3uF motor cap just to see.

Your diagnosis is correct.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

No it was all mush. We rarely use it and it's in the cellar so didn't notice.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Shame. Food recycling then.?

Time for a freezer alarm project methinks. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m