Freezer

Just returned from my mother's house. Her fridge freezer packed up a few days ago. Thought I had it sussed when I found a switch on the front turned off. So.................. I switched it back on, lo and behold the pump motor whirrs away merrily but does the tubes get cold ? No chance. Even after 10 mins . Nil. Anyone know if it's had it's day or does it sound like a repair. Cheers Ed

Reply to
Ed D Ball

This is not a diy answer. When my mother-in-law's fridge-freezer started playing up I phoned a local domestic appliance repair firm and described the symptoms. They were able to diagnose the fault and quote a price for replacement of a failed thermostat. It turned out to be an economical repair. In your case, as the compressor is working, I doubt that it has had its day unless it is very ancient and no parts are available.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

It sounds like the gas has leaked out to me.

I expect it can be recharged, however finding the leak may be hard to track down!

How old is the device?

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

I'd expect so too, and you need to fix the leak else it'll go the same way again. I hear some folk are regassing them with R390 now, aka propane.

But I did have a very old one once that took ages to get cold. ISTR 10 mins or so before the cooling tubes chilled - how this can be I dont know, but thats what I recall. Once it all got down to temp it worked fine. Doubtless Aiden will tell me its impossible, and I cant see how it would be so myself either but tis what I saw. When I checked it after a bit I thought it was a deadun, but it got there in the end, and gave however many years of service. Perhaps it was a compressor problem, I really dont know.

However if a unit is running that inefficienctly its best replaced anyway, as the extra run cost will exceed the replacement cost after a couple of years. Used ffs in good condition are =A3100 or less.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Was "new" with fitted kitchen when house bought about 5 years ago. |Could be up to 7 yrs

Reply to
Ed D Ball

So no warranty, or any chance under the sale of goods act them :-(

As I said before, I expect there is a leak somewhere, so the compressor is running, but there isn't any gas to make it work. I can't see any other explanation for it to run, but not get cold!

Your mum hasn't defrosted it, assisting in the ice removal with a tool has she?

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks