Another conundrum.

Can you sail dead downwind faster than the wind itself ?

Or sail dead upwind?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Someone bored and have too much time on their hands ?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Didn't we do that one a few years ago?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, I recall, and some couldn't fathom out there was even a land competition in how much faster you could travel than the wind speed!

Reply to
Fredxx

Today yes. fasting for a blood test...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't know the answer but I suspect that a modern sail can be configured to a shape much the same as a aircraft wing and positioned such that instead of providing lift it provides forward motion to a boat.

Reply to
alan_m

I don't think you can 'sail' faster directly downwind or directly against, but you probably could by using the wind to operate an impeller connected to a propeller in the water. Certainly upwind, and downwind faster is doable on land.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Someone doesn't understand aerodymics and struggles with windbags.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Does that require posting questions on usenet? Well, I never ... :)

Reply to
GB

But do you think they'll find any blood in a Turnip? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes,you can sail f aster than the wind. (Called reaching)

A conventional sail can sail no closer than 45deg towards the wind

harry

What is the wavelength of a bullet (mass 7.0 g) moving with a velocity of

1.1 x 103m s-1?
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I'm guessing the Turnip has never sailed. I wonder how long the list of things he's never done is (and so has no RW idea about)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

who would that be then?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nope, but due to a cockup (I thought it was an 8 hour fast but they sent me away for 4 hours as they wanted a 12 hour fast)I had time off other things booked that suddenly became available

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Does that question have any meaning?

The Planck-Einstein relation applies to EM radiation, not random objects.

And if you persist in trying you should probably base it on E=mc2 in which case your tiny bit of kinetic energy pales into insignificance.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Search for "de Broglie wavelength".

Or the experiment where cats fired at 2 slits give an interference pattern. I've only ever seen it discussed as a "gedanken experiment" but if John Rumm turns his mind to it I expect it'll be in the Wiki i.d.c.

Reply to
Robin

That would be Schrödinger's cat, presumably. I didn't know he had more than one.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

He means electrons. :-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Sailing is normally done on water which itself may be moving and helping or in my case often hindering.

Reply to
Michael Chare