Annoying Christmas presents

My family know by now that I am not a very willing recipient of presents. Mainly guilt due to being too idle to bother buying anything for them.

However, this year, in an attempt to cooperate in the festivities, I let it be known that I needed a replacement pair of slippers. To minimise the effort involved, I specified source, style and size. What could go wrong?

The slippers were unwrapped and appeared to conform exactly as requested. Except.... they removed (as in took off) my socks!

As covered in the thread on why carpet mats move about, these slippers have a carpet like lining. Drawing over the foot orientates the mat strands towards the toes and they spend the rest of the day ratcheting the sock in the same direction:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I don't think you're supposed to wear socks with slippers! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

When things have died down, get a pair of these.

Socks stay on, the lining is fleece (synthetic)

Floor adhesion not great for venturing outside, and might grab criticism from the style police for being somewhat moon booty, but here it means the central heating can stay off a bit longer.

I now need something warmer than jeans.

Brrrr...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz
[27 lines snipped]

Flannel lined jeans;

(Other retailers are available.)

Reply to
Huge

My electric overblanket does the same. The instructions say do not fold, but by morning it is bunched up around my feet.

Now I have attached it inside the duvet with nappy pins. Problem solved.

Can you use duct tape to secure your socks to your legs ?, or buy long socks that grip the bit of your leg just below the knee ?.

Reply to
Andrew

These folk may help those those of us whose feet are not what they were (or in my case, probably never were what they were):

They have good customer service, too. On one of their pairs of shoes, some stitching was coming undone (and looked like it would continue to do so). A phone call, and they emailed me a postage label, so sending the shoes back was cost-free, and a day or so later a replacement pair showed up.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Metal ones?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Blimey. I wear socks and slippers all day, every day, only putting outdoor shoes on to walk the dog or pop to the shops.

Reply to
Graeme

This. Except for the dog. We don't have a dog.

Reply to
Huge

Reply to
Tim Watts

Hehe. I (and 'we' to the greater part) are the same as you because:

1) We are not religious. 2) We are adults. 3) We have pretty well everything we want or need. 4) We would rather get anything we don't already have or need ourselves.

I was given one Xmyth present this year, by someone who means well but simply cannot understand the situation. Because I like sailing and being prepared ... he bought me a *locking* pocket 'knife' that has a blade but no point but a hook, suitable for ripping safety belt type material.

With the current rules about having knives in public (it constitutes a 'sharp' (bladed article) if not a 'a point' as such but the issue being that it's locking ...) I'm really not sure when I would ever want to use it (being as I have to traverse 'public' to get to 'private' and the boot of your car still counts as a public place apparently)? ;-(

'Everything?'. ;-)

;-)

Oh well, back to the moccasins?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

En el artículo , Tim Watts escribió:

Sock garters?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

You need Threadgold Thorogrip Garterettes

Reply to
JohnW

It now seems impossible to buy a proper electric overblanket. All the new ones are far too small, low powered and turn themselves off when they think you should get up! I've totally failed to find a Superking sized blanket which even claims to fit the bed. I have a couple of US ones, these are equally useless, with operating temperatures way below the tropical levels I require.

Reply to
Capitol

Snibbo, shirley.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd have expected them to get fairly toasty on 240 volts :-)

I wonder if one can still get 60 watt bulbs for a Belling Bed Warmer.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Shirley shirley will if she drinks Snibbonac, the Sparkling British Brandy, served with a dash of Fauntleroy's Old English tonic water.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Insoles such as

Peter Parry

These are long socks. My skin as a bit sensitive to wool and throws a real wobbly when exposed to Lycra so Winter wellie wear is a cotton MMF mix.

They are improving with use so all is not lost and I am even considering discarding the old pair:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I repeatedly buy suede boatshoes, each time I get a new pair the "nap" of the nubuck lining is the wrong way and pulls my socks off, after a few days it gets flattened and they stop doing it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns