Angle grinder caution

I've been wearing ear protectors at work on and off for about 30 years. Am losing hearing a bit and recent ear test showed hearing loss typical of work related noise damage - a particular dip in the graph it seems. So it should have been more "on" than "off" it would appear. I'm now beginning to wonder about smoking, drinking coffee and eating bacon sandwiches - but would life be worth living?

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

Me too.

Except in my case it's shooting, motor racing and loud rock concerts.

Oh, yes.

Reply to
Huge

With regard to driving, there is an alternative to enduring years of gaining experience: go and learn further driving techniques from Rospa or the Institute of Advanced Motorists (to name two organisations).

These folk teach you stuff you may learn over multiple years of driving experience. Screw-up spectacularly at the start of your multiple years of experience and you may not be around to finish the course.

I'm biased in that I took such tuition some 20 years ago, and feel that it has helped me in my driving.

Mungo

[As an aside, an anecdote from the head of the driving club I attended umpteen years ago: The driving club bloke would hear other drivers tell that their offspring regularly suffered "car sickness" to which he would regularly reply "there's no such thing as 'car sickness'". This usually brought a swift reply from the parent "Of course there is, my wee kid regularly throws up when I drive". The reply to this was "There is no such thing as Car Sickness but there IS such a thing as 'motion sickness' ". And then the hapless parent was taught to change gear properly so that the car occupants weren't thrown back and forward through the changes. ]
Reply to
mungoh

I'd be mightily surprised if changing gear contributed in any significant way to the enourmous range of motions experienced in car - unless you are a ham fisted 17yr old thrashing the nuts of Citroen Saxo with a bean can for an exhaust.

I can honeslty say that as someone who suffers motions sickness any more than about 2 minutes of map reading on the motorway (whilst a passenger obviously) has me green and wanting to barf in my shoes.

-- Steve F

Reply to
Fitz

It's taken you that long to wonder about smoking?!

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

I wouldn't recommend doing it while using an angle grinder. You need two hands to hold a proper bacon sandwich.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In my experience you'd be surprised Steve. The "litmus test" for anyone gear-changing is that the changes should ideally be imperceptible by anyone sitting in the passenger seat who can't see the driver performing the change nor hear the change in the engine tone. And that includes changing down as well as up!

There's also the issue of throwing the vehicle into corners as well as watching the road surface ahead to miss the potholes... some drivers seem oblivious to both.

YMMV

Mungo :-)

Reply to
mungoh

my original flip-up visor type helmet is quite small, so a small pr of ear defenders fit easily . Ive now also got an auto-dark like screwfix 19841-76 which covers most of the head/ears but it's a bit top heavy when crawling underneath things.

-
Reply to
Mark

So just hold the grinder between your knees then....

Reply to
John Rumm

When chipping tiles off the wall, use goggles when you're prising them off.

Tiles bending spit the glaze off in nasty shards. Very uncomfortable getting it in the eye.

DAMHIK,IJD,OK.

P.

Reply to
zymurgy