Angle grinder caution

Hospitals see eye injuries in people wearing safety eye protection and using angle grinders. The yellow hot sparks can somehow get in anyway - maybe they sometimes take odd curved paths through the air, I dont know.

Always use indirect vent goggles, not direct vent. DV have pinholes in the side, IV have rubber plugs to provide the ventilation, and prevent particles going straight in.

And always use ear protection.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Could they get up the nose? :-)

Reply to
ben

heh, i expect they do. But noses are water cooled.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Been there, done that, had the eye surgery ... what prompted this post?

I'm amazed that people using noisy equipment often don't seem to understand how important it is to protect their ears.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I've had weld spatter go straight in my ear when working in an awkward position - I actually heard it go "whoosh sizzle" :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Some people go the doctors to get their ear singe...er..syringed. ;-)

Reply to
ben

Pardon?

Reply to
Huge

This, in addition to other stories told here, is why it's a

*very good* idea to get some training in tool use. However, that is not (on the job aside) available. Why not? 'Cos people who've just spent £150 on a tool don't want to spend a bit more on training? I'm sure there *ought* to be an opportunity here...

Aside: don't they teach metalwork/woodwork etc. in schools these days?

I am *not* trying to "wind up" anyone here.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

But could you hold your nose and blow bubbles out of your ear under water? I now wear a cotton hood when welding under anything.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I guess its like driving. It takes time to realise what you didnt know, and how much there was you didnt know.

I'd be surprised if you got any takers for such a course, even numpties think they know what theyre doing. I've seen people be real careless with dangle grinders, but on the rare occcasion I've said anything, they dont want to know, I'm fine mate.

People often dont know what it is they dont know :)

NT

Reply to
bigcat

But with driving, you take lessons. Anyone can go & buy a power tool and just "go at it". It's a nightmare. Once you realise what you didn't know, or even *think* about, there may be various bits'n'pieces very much "yours" that will

*never* be the same again! Have I ever heard anything about DIY accidents, pray? Ermm... yes.
Reply to
Chris Bacon

So true. Its why I call em dangle grinders. Yet beginners dont know it, so wont pay out.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

You're referring to hifi here?

I'm amazed that people can go to the cinema and not protect their ears...and that's 90-180 minutes of high volume.

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

Life is full of risks. Some people are winners and some are losers. "Do not boil in the can" "Do not spray near naked flame or incandescent material".Such statements are invitations to many (including myself). I am still alive and in posession of all senses limbs and digits.

Perhaps I will win a Darwin award one day...until then can I really be arsed to spend money on a powertool course? Where would I even find such a thing?

The next project I have in mind is to half fill and old radiator with propane then press the trigger on my blow torch. (I wouldn't do that if I were you).

Have fun! :-)

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

ouch yes ive had that, I now ware ear defenders as well all the other safety bits when welding underneath anything.

-
Reply to
Mark

Start saving the half-empty calor gas cylinders for Bonfire Night, only a couple of months to go.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I SAID YOU SHOULD LOOK AFTER YOUR EARS ... oh, never mind ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

Don't be such a wet blanket. Next you'll be telling us that smoking, drinking coffee and eating bacon sandwiches is bad for us.

Reply to
Rob Morley

It didn't do any damage that I could notice, it was just rather strange :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

How do you get ear defenders to fit under a welding helmet? Or do you mean those little foam plug things?

Reply to
Rob Morley