An odd Q I know: Butlins sockets!

For reasons best known to SWMBO, we're going to be in a Butlins next month. They offer rental VCRs and attempt to stymie any bring your own-isms with a claim that the place has no power sockets.

Does anyone know if they have oddball sockets, or the ones they must have (for cooker and tv) are sealed?

I'm not intending to bring a 10Kw heater or any nastiness but want to charge a mobile and a portable DVD player.

Tried to google/vivisimo but not found any useful info.

Reply to
Colum Mylod

We stayed in the Shoreline Hotel a few months ago and everything used normal square pin sockets. The chalets are the same.

However, the place isn't bristling with suplus sockets so maybe take a four way extension lead.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

You poor sod!

Last time I did this (god knows why, cheap offer in one of the tabloids, SWMBOs idea again) the chalet was disgusting. It was the week before the main season (hence the cheap offer) and hardly anything on site was open. The "about you" questions in the customer "satisfaction" questionnaire was a laugh. My normal newspaper wasn't listed and my salary was off the scale (there was an fixed upper limit rather than an open $Xk+).

Sorry, can't remember any details about the electrics.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I didn't think Butlins had installed electricity yet - never mind sockets for it to leak from.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I thought holidays where meant for getting away from all the usual hundrums of everyday life. play cards,do the buisness,have a good chat, anything but watch a stupid video.

p.s I've heard the beetles ride around on motorcycles in Butlins. :-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The new hotel cost them £10m (Or was it £20m?) and has everything you'd get in a decent London hotel.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

Hopefully the brochure claim of no lekky is bogus. I think I'll dig up a bayonet to socket adapter as an insurance.

Many thanks to the others for the sympathy!

One will do. I hope I won't have to peel wires like in the good old pre-world adapter days...

Reply to
Colum Mylod

Ha! Last time I was at Butlins was in November 1945 as a newly joine

sailor boy. I don't think any of the doors and windows fitted and w had one ceiling light fixture of about 1 1/2 watts. We slept in ou clothes, overcoat included, and we never knew a day we were'nt hungr all day.

"By 'eck, we was so poor we lived in a shoe box.." Oops wrong sketch. Yer don't know ye're born you lot. I've never had so much fun with my clothes on since. Docus

-- docusk

Reply to
docusk

Hmm, this is starting to sound like the episode of Father Ted where the priests stay in a caravan and Father Noel Furlong (played by Graham Norton) turns up! :-)

With all the cheap flights at the moment and cheap hotel offers I can't imagine staying in Butlins is a very attractive proposition. I guess there must be some advantage!

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

Tis not really much different to going on a cruise.

On a cruise you are stuck on a boat in cramped accomodation and free entertainment.

At Butlins you are stuck in a camp in cramped accomodation and free entertainment.

The only difference is you don't get seasick in a holiday camp.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

Changed a lot. We even had a plasma telly and PS2 in our accomodation!

Reply to
sPoNiX

If you have children, the place is magic.

I went in 1963, my parents said it was one of the most restful holidays they'd ever had. They sat in the chalet or the bar and chilled out. No cooking, no cleaning and we kids were out from dawn till dusk and came home happy and completely knackered.

I took my kids in 1993 and they loved it. They could roam all day safely, go on as many rides as they wanted and have fun at the kiddie disco in the evening.

We didn't have a mobile phone or a laptop then - I really cannot remember if there were sockets.

Reply to
Geoffrey

Not having to go on cheap flights?

Reply to