An inch of rain?

That's true only if the water gathered by the area in question is all pooled into a smaller area and has its depth measured there.

For example if you had a hillside of a certain area acting as a catchment which all drains into a pond of a tenth the area, then if an inch fell on that hillside, the pond would end up with 10 inches more water in it.

The "an inch of rain" measure doesn't refer to the pond, but to the hill, on the ficticious assumption that it doesn't drain away, but all stays in situ until you've had a chance to measure it, and then slops down the hill.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

I think you've got far too much time on your hands......

Reply to
The Wanderer

Not while they're still on the chicken they won't!

Reply to
Tim Streater

Doubt you'll get much lead for a quid... feathers, mind...

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Depends whether the pikeys have been round...

Reply to
Bob Eager

at a place I worked at in Cumbria we had a rain gauge which measured rate of fall. It read up to 8" (200mm) per hour. In one good thunderstorm it was off its endstop for 20 minutes. That must have been at least 2.66 inches in 20 minutes. It's the only storm I've been in where I was recalculating the odds of being syruck by lightning, as we were driving over the fells, with flash/bangs every few seconds!

Reply to
<me9

What if the chicken is full of lead shot? Or if the chicken is flapping its wings?

Reply to
Matty F

No, we have m of rain...

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

Simple schoolbiy stuff, at least it was when I went to school.

You are wrong, BTW.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I've always remembered it as 100 tons per acre (which it is, within about 1.2%, or 3% for metric tonnes).

Reply to
Andy Wade

If you relate depth and area then you *are* considering volume.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

those who don't know it already, a VERY useful site.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

No, that's butterflies.

They shoot butterflies, don't they? Or was that horses?

Reply to
Skipweasel