always said this

The robot will pick up your car from where you stop and then position it in the workshop before going to get the new battery(s) from stock and then changing them over. Simples.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

They still mandate certain types - sealed beam, halogen, HID and are only now talking about allowing LED.

Reply to
Steve Walker

But it may be you, the victim of the crime, that cannot get the battery swap because your plates have been swapped and you haven't noticed and/or the thieves have nicked you plates with a tag and left you with a copy without a tag.

Reply to
alan_m

all in a couple of seconds as suggested?

Reply to
alan_m

well in under a minute anyway.

There are plenty of impossible things about BEVs but this isn't one of them Driver drives into bay , unlocks the cell packs. robot arms go underneath and engage quick releases catches. Pack drops onto arms, is taken away, while new arm comes in from the other side, aligns itself and replaces battery.

Not beyond bounds to keep half a dozen battery types in stock either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh for heaven?s sake, it?s not going to happen.

I?ll repeat my offer. £100 says that battery swapping doesn?t take off within 5 years. I?m sure it won?t take off at all but that?s as long as I?m prepared to wait for your £100. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Quite.

How long has it been said it would be nice to have common mains plugs world wide?

Commercial industry doesn't want a standard anything. And you can be certain if governments world wide agreed on a battery standard, it would be well obsolete by then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

to your vehicle' never hear of a ramp? then the second lie 'has to be te same battery for every car. Hey those electric torches will never catch on.

Then the third lie 'you have to stay in your car' why?

I never said it was likely, I just said it was possible

The only downside is that there simply isn't enough lithium

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Those are not 'lies', since they're predictions and ideas and thoughts about something, you can disagree with them but calling them lies is just trying to stir things IMHO.

Reply to
Chris Green

Well you really didn?t need to say that. It?s already been done in Israel so the ?possibility? of it is already established.

(Spoiler alert, Israeli company went bankrupt).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Whoosh.

Yes, it would have been better to say that the USA doesn't do that anymore.

<reams of your puerile shit any 3 year old could leave for dead flushed where it belongs>
<reams of your puerile shit any 3 year old could leave for dead flushed where it belongs>
Reply to
5tft

None that will work everywhere.

But that still requires some central database that supplies the data specific to that vehicle.

Those that do that.

Have fun mandating anything world wide.

If it were merely

Much more likely battery swapping wouldn't happen.

Reply to
5tft

That is safety stuff. Its only really the EU that is into mandating all sorts of other stuff like the charging connector used, the power of vacuum cleaners etc.

Reply to
5tft

The tag can incorporate the paths, no need for an external database.

There are many worldwide standards applying to motor vehicles. That is how international trade works.

I, and many other people, would much rather have a vehicle that while mainly charged at home, could make long journeys, at the drop of a hat, with minimal delays for "fueling".

Reply to
Steve Walker

Steve Walker snipped-for-privacy@walker-family.me.uk> wrote

Thats bullshit RFID that is included in the numberplate.

And those that have numberplate thief do that.

But not MANDATED ones.

That's not how MANDATED works, it doesnt happen world wide.

Fuck all would want the battery they have been careful with, being swapped for something anything could have happened with.

And that and the stupid cost of the robots, and the problem with the robot being able to work out how to swap the battery means that it will not be economically viable and so won't happen.

Reply to
5tft

I and many other people would much rather have a car that comes fuelled for life with a nice nuclear reactor in it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Except of course it does. If it doesn't conform to the standards, you will not be allowed to sell it in countries that do stick to the standards.

The fact that some countries do and some don't is irrelevant. Companies want the mass market and will conform to standards to ensure that they can sell into them.

Reply to
Steve Walker

until you have an RTA and the containment is breached...... cue an exclusion zone, iodine tablets and a concrete sarcophagus constructed over the RTA.....

Reply to
SH

Bullshit it does.

More bullshit with even which side of the car the driver is on.

Have fun listing even a single example of that with anything MANDATED today.

Even with the stuff the EU has mandated, the reality is that ALL the manufacturers have in fact configured their cars so that the EU mandate isn't adhered to in other countries if that is what the owner prefers.

And even if the EU was actually stupid enough to mandate that all EVs must have a robot swappable battery, all manufactures wouldn't all redesign all their cars to comply.

And even the EU realises that, so it won't happen.

Reply to
5tft