Aldi compressor ...

And really is an unnecessary amount of fuss. Like everything else in life online banking has some risks attached. I don't think the risk of using a window machine here for banking are esp great.

I'd be interested in knowing home many people have suffered from someone gaining access to their bank account from a keylogger or some other such malware (phishing is something else, as that has nothing to do with the platform).

I know people who have had cards cloned etc. through using them in a bricks and mortar place. I know of people who have had their details compromised via using an online shop (we think). I don't know of anyone whose bank account directly has been compromised (though I'm sure it has happened)

Reply to
chris French

Two of our rellies, using Outlook, have had their e-mail accounts botted. The virus was only interested in sending out emails (as far as we know), but there's no reason it couldn't have been looking for passwords, credit card numbers, and logging logons to online banking. This is one reason we don't do Wintel here but there are others - see the thread about swap sizes and such.

Reply to
Tim Streater

"Please place the item in the bagging area, scratch your arse, look absent-mindedly at the ceiling, then scan the next item."

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Barclays require you to enter three random letters from a password after all the usual bits, and that via a drop down menu. So unless you've been stupid enough to record that password where it can be found, it would need some pretty sophisticated software to capture it being used.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Agreed. And NatWest don't allow you to set up new destinations for transfers (which would be needed to steal money) unless you have your debit card with you, and can answer a random challenge using that (and PIN) in their little reader devuce.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yup, both the online bank sites I use (Nationwide and Smile) have similar login and card reader arrangements.

Like I said, but for me an acceptable risk.

and swapping a houseful of computers over to Linux is non trivial. Not the software installation as such nowadays, but the software we use across machines everyday.

Reply to
chris French

In between these brackets is how much I care about "80% of the shopping population";

()

Reply to
Huge

Huge

In message , Tim Streater writes

There should have been a 'or whatever' in that sentence. Linux, Unix, OSX, Solaris - whatever non-Windows OS you prefer.

The same principle applies.

Reply to
chris French

Reply to
Tim Streater

What's linux got to do with anything? I don't use that either.

Reply to
Tim Streater

+1
Reply to
Man at B&Q

Like I said.

Reply to
Huge

True, so the sooner you start, the sooner you'll be done.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You have a few too many 9s in there. Digging about got me

"New Windows malware threats outnumber Apple ones by between 100-1 and

500-1 depending on who you ask"

so it's 99% or 99.9%. Don't be complacent.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ