Aldi compressor ...

the Lego one (the picture) for stuff at work...

Reply to
Bob Eager

D'yer remember all those glass cases with brass push-studs on square plates that made the machines move?

The sign of a good visit to the Science Museum was a dent in the end of your finger that lasted most of the way home.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Oooh no, I like the Science Museum. But not as much as I liked it in the

1970s when it had some science.
Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes, and the sparking mercury rectifier and the countless models that animated when a brass handle was turned.

And being achingly dog tired and hungry after arriving at 0830 and not leaving until thrown out at closing time.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well, the Acorn and the VAX fall under that category. Or one of those bootable Linux CDs should do the trick. A hard-disc installed Linux, or an Apple, just don't cut the mustard for me. Sure the worms aren't nearly as common as they are for Windoze boxes, but they still exist.

One day I'll have a good reason to do internet banking, and I'll have to do something.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

And the brass studs on the rails so you could slide down them. And the photocell operated doors in the basment.

And the huge bang from the spark-gap, and the Foucault's pendulum with the bit of string they burned through a noon. Or was it mid-morning?

Reply to
Skipweasel

And you tell that to the kids of today, and they won't believe you!

Reply to
Steve Firth

Isn't that what I just said?

Reply to
Huge

:-)

Depends how you read it, I suppose. I took it to mean you might imagine FF on Wintel to be OK, perhaps.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Those figures are exactkly the charges that PayPal make on small traders.

I think you are confused and living in your own world.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Good point. OK, put it this way; get as far away from Windows, Intel (and compatible) processors and IE as possible. :o)

Reply to
Huge

I think he is just a poor risk, they get charged more and then he thinks everyone else is in the same boat.

Reply to
dennis

Apropos of very little, I just bought a PDP-11/84...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Away from Windows (and hence no IE - hooray), yes. I'm not sure it matters about the processor anyway these days, especially as (IIRC) AMD defined the 64-bit instruction set used in AMD and Intel CPUs these days. It has to be said that the 8088 and 80286 used in early PCs were rubbish compared to the 68000 (I've just spent a few months writing some

68000 software in assembler and what a delight it was), but things have moved on since then.
Reply to
Tim Streater

Ah, then you can use this:

to write software for it. Doccy, edited by yours truly, available from CERN. Dunno if they still have the compiler source tho.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You must have a very tolerant wife.

Reply to
Huge

Ooh, not entirely true. There was an IE for Solaris. I installed it once for laughs - hundreds of Mb of compatibility libraries. It painted the outermost window then core dumped. So I suppose it worked as well as a lot of other MS software.

Oh, it does. Shell-code

is processor specific.

I haven't written any low-level code on anything more recent than a PDP11.

Reply to
Huge

I have. And she teaches computing...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Which rules things out for 80% of the shopping population?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just don't get me started on Morrisons. Damned auto-tills there spell out every single step every time.

"Please place the item in the bagging area" "Please place the item in the bagging area" "Please place the item in the bagging area" "Please place the item in the bagging area" "Please place the item in the bagging area"

Reply to
Skipweasel