Alarm V instructions

I wont go in to the back story but a neighbour has a home burglar alarm installed about 5 years ago. He was never left any instrucions but it was set by the installer. Not only do I think that was deliberate so any fault would entail the installer picking up call out charges but the owner has no code to switch it off (if faulty)

Question.. should the installer legally leave instruction manual and a code to switch it off to allow a change of batteries?

Reply to
ss

That would depend on the contract at the time of installation.

Reply to
charles

BIt worrying lets hope they do have the codes or it could be very embarrasing for the alarm company when it is needed to be reset. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

They did come out and replace a battery and reset it.(£100) For the sake of a battery if it were me I would replace it myself.

Reply to
ss

There you have your answer. I would try to contact the maker of the alarm. Tell them you've lost/forgotten your code. They invariably have an engineers reset code.

Reply to
bert

A static engineers code? Bit of a security hole...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There is no reason why the code can be dependent on some internal serial number, sometimes in combination with the date.

Reply to
Fredxx

"Dave Liquorice" snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

Generally programmed away from default but usually resettable to a known value by linking and/or a sequence in the installation instructions. Then you gain control of your own system without paying a ransom. Takes too long to be of use to a casual thief with bell going off.

Installation instructions are usually available on a search despite the trade trying to restrict access.

Reply to
Peter Burke

Mine came with factory codes - both user and engineering. The installer should alter those and let the user know. Although I've no doubt they will keep the engineering one to themselves.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I have swapped plenty of Veritas alarm PCBs without swapping the actual box to get around locked out alarm panels.

Reply to
ARW