Aerial for new Denon DM41DAB

Between me and the IOW and about 150 yards away is a peculiar galvanised metal tower with a group C/D 18 element jobbie pointing at Midhurst.

It is about 40 feet tall sort of tall thin tripod arrangement with zig-zag lateral elements joining the three legs, which join at the top, with the TV aerial mounted on top.

No idea why it is there, and how many (ex) council houses it used to supply. It was there in 1978 when I moved here. There is a 6 foot chainlink fence around it so I cannot get close up to see what else is at the base.

One single length of coax connects the folded dipole of the 4-elem FM aerial to the receiver. I don't think it has been damaged and I carefully ran it to avoid electric cables.

This problem has only occurred in the last 2 to 3 years. About 18 months ago it was R2 FM that was the problem, but that is now perfect, while R4 FM seems to have developed a similar problem.

A while ago, when Simon Mayo was still presenting R2 Driveltime at 5PM, he played something and told the listeners, 'You should only be hearing this out of your left hand speaker', but I heard it out of my right hand speaker !. Naturally I checked the wiring but its all hunky-dory with coloured banana plugs for ease of access.

Reply to
Andrew

I'd love to have a garage like that :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Sounds quite interesting. Why would they use Midhurst I wonder?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

The block of four ex-council flats is down in a bit of a dip so getting IOW or CP is impossible. Midhurst almost line of sight, apart from a row of stonking great London Plane trees a few hundred yards away.

It may be a coincidence that it is right next to these flats.

Reply to
Andrew

I'd be very surprised if the council erected a lattice tower just for four flats. The cost per dwelling just wouldn't wash.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You're forgetting that in 1978 the ratepayers had bottomless pockets.

There is a single story steel-framed and clad building, with an attached garage capable of taking small high-sided trucks, immediately next to it, now vacant pending redevelopment.

Maybe this building was preventing TV reception back then.

Reply to
Andrew

Well, now then, I was contracting to councils from 1972 until 2012.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright