Advice on painting

I've successfully stripped the cornice and ceiling rose in my Victorian flat with Kling Strip which while a pain in the rear has revealed detail I never know was there. I've then applied two coats of alkali resistant primer/sealer (International Paints) to prevent staining of the top coat, which my test patch proved is absolutely necessary.

My question is whether to bother rubbing down the surface before applying emulsion. As it's a primer is this necessary? However it is solvent based and has produced a shiny surface, which leaves me feeling I should treat it like gloss and sand it to give it a key before the emulsion.

Any suggestions?

Cheers Dave

Reply to
davidbeavan

Makes you feel it was all worthwhile doing, eh? (well, maybe!)

Is the primer oil or water based? If the former, I'd be all the more inclined to key it first. I've had horrible results painting water-based paint on top of oil-based primers; the top coat 'shrivelling up' in front of my eyes as if I was painting over a greasy surface.

TBH, either way I think my gut instinct would be the same as yours - get the sandpaper out...!

David

Reply to
Lobster

The side of the pot of primer mumbles something about using brushes suitable for solvent based paints. A small test patch of emulsion didn't exactly shrivel up but it looks streaky - so I guess that means sandpaper time!

I really dont mind, after spending so long stripping 110 years of varying finishes off the plaster work its worth doing the job properly.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
FunkMeister