Advice on cordless drill/drivers

True in theory BUT I bet that a Makita half hour charger gets the batteries much nearer to full capacity than a cheapo not properly regulated Argos special. (Cheap ones cannot do this as they would cook the batteries if they tried ) I asked about drills a while ago and finally plumped for a Makita 9.6 from screwfix for £76 This IS a world apart from cheap ones. No vibration when drilling tiles with an ordinary masonary bit Electric brake allows positioning of screw head easily on slotted screws Chuck is true one handed operation and grips drill bits really well I have no regrets about the extra money

HTH Phil

Reply to
Phil

You are lucky then. ALL my Bosch power tools are been crap. Never again.

Reply to
IMM

Price?meaning a low price. Bosch are Not low priced by any means.

Was this fault caused by an act of God then?

Reply to
IMM

No, I was expressing disappointment in the design.

Reply to
Grunff

You sure they weren't car boot sale Bosch 'specials'?

Reply to
Grunff

No, you bought a battery and they threw in the drill.

Reply to
IMM

I have never ever been to a car boot sale. All genuine stuff.

Reply to
IMM

I expect that God was too, when he saw IMM..... :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Er - just a cautionary note. I was talking occasional DIY not professional use all day. every day! Phil

Reply to
P.R.Brady

Do you know, that *really* surprises me...

Reply to
Grunff

Me too. I expected that he'd spend Sunday mornings at those, and the afternoons at the dump, picking over what's coming in.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's a great mental picture.

Reply to
Grunff

My advice is first go for a two battery pack with a 1hr timed charger. No need to pay more than £50 these days for a perfectly adequate deal unless you have money to burn. I find my B&Q Performance Power Pro 12V fine for general use. Its relatively light and well balanced and has good low speed control, however the batteries are 3hr charge and eventually got cooked. The hammer action is a waste of time. Funnily enough I passed a tradesman yesterday putting up a shop facia sign with the very same drill. He was on hammer action through wood into masory. He's probably still there. I guess his Makita/De Walt/Metabo got nicked. Never had a Bosch cordless but tried one once. Its low speed control was terrible so I returned it. My other Bosch tools have been fine.

Alan

Reply to
Alan James

Hi,

Maplin have an 18v one with a 1 hour charger for £20 at the moment, should be fine for a try out.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Yes Andy, God saw that Bosch tools are not for proper people.

Reply to
IMM

Why? I am the ultimate suave sosphito, why would I go to such a place. In fact I don't even know where one is in central London.

Reply to
IMM

So it is you who has been rummaging through my empty Champagne bottles.

Reply to
IMM

You can therapy for that. Do you see spots as well?

Reply to
IMM

That is the bare minimum.

Most tradesmen these days do not have the high end models. I guess this man would have been better with a 18-24v jobbie. the minimum is 18v for hammer.

I find Bosch the most over-rated and over priced power tools around.

Reply to
IMM

Is that some sort of inebriated insect?