Advice for papering one wall different

I'm ok at papering , however I wish to paper three walls with one paper and the 4th wall a contrasting paper. As we know walls are never true, so how is the best way to avoid areas in the corners showing uneven, or even gaps between the different papers? I'm sure I will find it difficult to trim both papers the same, and butt evenly. :-(

Reply to
Broadback

You could wrap one slightly around the corner and then cut the other into the corner, then use some overlap/border adhesive to get the top paper to adhere to the bottom. Still tricky to get the sheet you cut spot on, but at least if its slightly uneven you will have the other paper behind it and not bare wall!

Reply to
Richard Conway

Or you could wrap _both_ around the corner, and use a straight-edge and razor/knife to cut through both layers, then remove the excess.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Strange how this has come back into fashion after 30 years, I blame the TV makeover programmes.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Having first painted the wall (just the corner edge will do) in the neutral/background colour of one of the wallpapers.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Or paper across the corner with a thin strip of one of the papers - if the paper is thick then tear just the front off the paper and use that. But

*never* cut paper with a knife as above - tear it and the join will disappear.
Reply to
John Cartmell

It happens that Broadback formulated :

You wrap one around and under the other one, which is then trimmed to the corner. Best if any vertical lines in the print are avoided, or spaced well in from the corners.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You don't butt internal corners anyway - overlap the "different" paper around the corner a couple of inches, then trim the other paper into the corner and stick it on top.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Rubbish - there is certainly a place for tearing wallpaper to make concealed joins, but this isn't it.

Consider two sheets of wet paper side by side, overlapping by an inch... you run a new Stanley blade down the overlap (doesn't even need to be a straight-line cut) and then peel back both sheets. Remove the two trimmings and paste the two sheets back, and the butt joints will be completely invisible (assuming correct pattern matching).

Very difficult to do it in a corner as the OP wants, though.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The suggestion to underpaint in the main colour is a good one - any shrinkage is less likely to be noticed.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Which is why you are almost certainly wanting to conceal part of the join.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Gosh! Three wall in one pattern and t'other in a different colour ... that was so.o.o fashionable in the late fifties -early sixties ... that's so last century! even last millennium ! Are you going to panel over the doors with hardboard - that flat look must be coming back ? Got the melamine covered coffee table with the spindly legs?

Seriously; anybody with knowledge of this bumble design practise should be claiming failing memory in their defence and not revealing the knacks.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock