Papering

Popped into Wilkinsons today for one of these; http://www.wilko.com/wallpaper-paste+tools/wallpaper-edging-knife/invt/0341562
The best wall paper trimmer I have ever used.
However, spotted one of these;http://www.wilko.com/wallpaper-paste+tools/wilko-wallpaper-hanging-smooth/invt/0341559
I've always used a brush in the past, but I thought I'd give it a try for £1.50.
Brilliant! So much better than a brush, really easy to get rid of bubbles etc. Works a bit like a squeegee. Added bonus, it squeegees some paste out of the edges so the seam have extra paste.
On 8/4/2015 5:27 PM, David Lang wrote:

I have a similar tool - it does, indeed, work very well.
David Lang wrote:

Why does the UK persist with wall paper, it is almost non existent here in Australia and I suspect many other places.
On Wednesday, 5 August 2015 04:57:04 UTC+1, F Murtz wrote:

0341562

g-smooth/invt/0341559

We have artistic appreciation. (Virtually absent in OZ)
F Murtz wrote:

1. 'Cos we have old houses with old plaster 2. 'Cos we don't have insects that eat wallpaper[1] so we can :) 3. 'Cos not all Poms can plaster :(
[1] German cockroaches. (Native Aussie cockroaches would no doubt be too busy killing and eating people.)
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Do the Ausies use that textured plastering that is common in the USA?

Nope, in fact we don’t plaster much at all, mostly use what the yanks call drywall and we call gyprock or unrendered brickwork or blockwork internally.
On 05/08/2015 08:49, Rod Speed wrote:

Isn't that just plasterboard? What then do you do to neaten it up at joins, corners and openings?

I can see that, if the brick/block is reasonably neat and sealed.
--
Cheers, Rob

Yes.

Basically just some filler on the joins. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drywall#Construction_techniques

Yeah, you do have to take more trouble with the brick or block work, but that isn't hard to do. We don’t generally render it or pebble dash it outside either.
I understand that the finish I have seen in American Hotels is called "Knockdown"
On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 9:36:47 AM UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

Have you got a close up photo of some of those joins, corners, etc. so we can see how neat such a method can be ?
Simon.

www.google.com/search?q=drywall+joints&tbm=isch www.google.com/search?q=drywall+joints
On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 12:07:58 PM UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

Where you've got 2 tapered edges I can see you should get a perfectly flat join, but all the others ... You'd have to get some shallow angle lighting onto the walls and see if all those other filled bits show up.
Simon.

Turns out to be completely trivial to get perfectly acceptable joins and a hell of a lot easier to do than plastering the wall instead.
And that is with painted walls too, not wallpapered walls.
On 05/08/2015 21:30, Rod Speed wrote:

Not sure about 'trivial' ;-)
Reading round it does seem quite doable, but quite a skill too, but not quite up there with plastering.
When all's said/done, I expect there's a fine line in terms of time/cost between plastering and filling. If filling was easier, quicker and cheaper, I'd expect a plasterer to do it . . .
--
Cheers, Rob

I am.

Nope, completely trivial to apply the filler and sand it back.

Nothing even remotely like it in fact.

More fool you. Anyone can do the drywall/gyproc and the joins.
DerbyBorn wrote:

No but we did have a fad worse than wallpaper once, printing paint rollers, luckily that died out.
On 04/08/2015 22:27, David Lang wrote:

The snap off blade principle has never worked particularly well for me because of the sharp point, which very quickly becomes the blunt point, which then tears the paper. I shall probably go to my grave without knowing the best tool for the job. I have a drawer full, but the Opinel camping knife has been my favourite for a while now

You're pushing too hard and blunting the point of the knife on the plaster underneath. Only a very light touch is needed. You're cutting the paper, not the plaster.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
On 05/08/2015 10:19, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I understand the principle but....:-)