Papering

Popped into Wilkinsons today for one of these; http://www.wilko.com/wallpaper-paste+tools/wallpaper-edging-knife/invt/0341562
The best wall paper trimmer I have ever used.
However, spotted one of these;http://www.wilko.com/wallpaper-paste+tools/wilko-wallpaper-hanging-smooth/invt/0341559
I've always used a brush in the past, but I thought I'd give it a try for £1.50.
Brilliant! So much better than a brush, really easy to get rid of bubbles etc. Works a bit like a squeegee. Added bonus, it squeegees some paste out of the edges so the seam have extra paste.
On 8/4/2015 5:27 PM, David Lang wrote:

I have a similar tool - it does, indeed, work very well.
David Lang wrote:

Why does the UK persist with wall paper, it is almost non existent here in Australia and I suspect many other places.
On Wednesday, 5 August 2015 04:57:04 UTC+1, F Murtz wrote:

0341562

g-smooth/invt/0341559

We have artistic appreciation. (Virtually absent in OZ)
F Murtz wrote:

1. 'Cos we have old houses with old plaster 2. 'Cos we don't have insects that eat wallpaper[1] so we can :) 3. 'Cos not all Poms can plaster :(
[1] German cockroaches. (Native Aussie cockroaches would no doubt be too busy killing and eating people.)
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Do the Ausies use that textured plastering that is common in the USA?
DerbyBorn wrote:

No but we did have a fad worse than wallpaper once, printing paint rollers, luckily that died out.
On 04/08/2015 22:27, David Lang wrote:

The snap off blade principle has never worked particularly well for me because of the sharp point, which very quickly becomes the blunt point, which then tears the paper. I shall probably go to my grave without knowing the best tool for the job. I have a drawer full, but the Opinel camping knife has been my favourite for a while now

You're pushing too hard and blunting the point of the knife on the plaster underneath. Only a very light touch is needed. You're cutting the paper, not the plaster.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
On 05/08/2015 10:19, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I understand the principle but....:-)