Calculating amount of wallpaper

Is there a spreadsheet or something similar, for calculating the amount of wallpaper required taking into account the pattern drop rate? I see many basic calculators, but nothing to put in the drop rate.
Mike P the 1st
On 05/12/2011 17:56, Mike P the 1st wrote:

I asked my next door neighbour (identical house) how many rolls of wallpaper he bought to do his lounge.
"Nine" he replied, so I bought nine - and had three left over.
When I told him I had three rolls too many he replied "that's funny, so did I".

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Nothing like keeping up with the Joneses:-)
You now have six rolls left over between you to fit in your other next door neighbours house!
--
Adam

* Sometimes I like to lay in my neighbours garden and pretend to be a

The old ones are the best ;)

A young lass goes into B&Q and studies a roll of vinyl tiling on a roll. She says to the chap in the orange jump suit, "do you suppose I would be able to stick this up myself?". He says "possibly, but really its designed to be stuck to a wall!"
--
Cheers,

John.

On 10/12/2011 18:38, John Rumm wrote:

LOL!
--
David

I'd of punched him lol how many rolls is it for a chimney breast?
Phil L wrote:

Must be a whopper! ;-)
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

:-)
--
*Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark *

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 18:26:30 +0100, "Phil L"

K?
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 17:56:27 +0000, Mike P the 1st wrote:

Haha. I spent many hours marking students' attempts at this a few weeks ago.
I can probably send you a model solution...
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

I would be very interested in any results.
I paper many walls of different heights and different pattern drops.
Mike P the 1st
On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 21:24:14 +0000, Mike P the 1st wrote:

Email me to give me a valid email address. The one given (news0001...) is valid.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Typical houses will get 4 drops per roll. If it is a short pattern, then it is possible to get 5 sometimes, but 4 is more usual.
Alan.

As the normal length of a roll is 10 metres and a typical drop 2.3 metres minimum (assuming a 2.3 ceiling minus 90mm for skirting plus a bit for trmming) 4 drops would be the maximum and only 3 if a big pattern drop although working from 2 rolls may eliminate the waste from the drop
Recently have used mostly embossed and blown vinyls so always 4 drops and enough offcuts for above and below the windows
Much more fun to calculate the number of rolls for a hall and staircase using a 500mm pattern drop and wastage from matching part sheet pattern on corners
oh the good old days I jurt about remember helping a decorator to cut the edging off of the rolls of paper with a little roller tool clamped to the paste table..... but it is a very hazy memory
something like
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-MORGAN-LEE-WALLPAPER-EDGE-TRIMMER-/300595043294
googling produces all sorts of widely varying figures for length and width of rolls most of which seem to be wrong
or from a wallpapering world very different from my own
Regards
On Dec 5, 5:56pm, Mike P the 1st

There is also the footage - When the paste is weak, the paper drops, just as you go to step up the ladder. Calculators, my arse. Consider the roll to be a standard 11yds x 20" and allow for 1" trimming for each drop and a full pattern spare for each roll. It's good to keep a full roll spare in any case to deal with repairs down the line.
On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 11:22:39 -0800 (PST), thirty-six
money could buy:

I was hoping to be able to estmate how many rolls with the input of the drop rate. The very large room I have just completed, the drop rate was 73mm. I got 3 drops per roll with much wastage. Other rooms of differetn wall height, I have got 4 drops to a roll. It would be nice to be able to to look at the drop rate and wall height and know whether I will get 3 or 4 drops before the paper is bought.
Mike P the 1st
message wrote:

I suppose that you could just add the drop rate to the ceiling height plus trim allowance to get the number of drops per roll
A difficulty with such estimations are what to allow for doors windows & corners
Where walls are true and corners square I have often been able to turn the corner with a single drop and butt up to it with the next piece
however where the corners and wall are 'out' I would have to use one drop to just turn the corner then trim another to pattern match into the corner
This can really add up
For example my extended dining room has 14 corners ( including the patio door returns)
Regards
On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 21:03:15 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
Quink that money could buy:

Ooooops .. the drop was 73cm .. not mm .. and the pattern was large rectangles.
I found No.4 might be of help ..
1.Measure the width of each wall where you would like to apply the wallpaper and add them all together (Combined Width)
2.Measure the height of the walls
3.Multiply the Combined Width by the height of the walls this is the total square footage (TSF) of wall space you need to cover with wallpaper.
4.The final step is to factor in the pattern repeat. If the pattern repeat is 18 or less then divide the TSF by 23, if pattern repeat is 19 to 25 then divide the TSF by 20. This final number is the total number of single rolls of wallcovering that is required for your project. If the pattern does not have a repeat (random match) then just use the TSF from step 3 above.
Mike P the 1st
On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 10:47:05 -0800 (PST), jgharston wrote:

Windows? Doors? Chimney breasts?
--
Cheers
Dave.