Amount of corn

I want to plant about 4 rows of corn 75 ft long. How many lbs of corn will I have to buy?

Reply to
Randy

I assume you mean maize, not "corn." Corn technically is any grass grain, in America we just associate it with maize. Plant seeds 8" apart, that's 112 seeds per row, that's about 450 kernels. About a pound or two.

-S

Reply to
Snooze

Half a pound will do you well. I plant 2 times that much and dont use a pound.

Reply to
chaz

You'll get much better yields if you plant it in a block rather than

4 rows x 75 ft. Try 12 rows x 25 ft if at all possible... better pollination, lower "edge row effects".

Sweetcorn seed tends to average about 100-200 seed/oz; I like a spacing of about 9" in row, 36" between row, but you may want to adjust that, especially given your area's soil moisture and rain probabilities if you don't irrigate. So 3 oz should do it if you've got good germination; 4-5 oz if you want "insurance" for replanting.

Remember regular sweet corn needs a minimum soil temp of 55oF for planting; 65oF for supersweet cultivars.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster