Acrid smell from burning cooking.

OK, the soup caught fire. Yes, soup! Chicken soup, at that. The whole downstairs of the house where this happened was filled with smoke, and it was hard to see. The soup was extinguished, and the windows and doors all opened. The smoke's gone, but since yesterday a horrible acrid smell persists. Is there a reasonably quick way to get rid of it (some sort of spray?), or is it a matter of time only?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

If you add a 'P" to your first name and read it all out you may find an expert on the matter. (Sorry--couldn't resist it)

Reply to
Jim

If you add a 'P" to your first name and read it all out you may find an expert on the matter. (Sorry--couldn't resist it)

Reply to
Jim

Febreze?

Reply to
Rob Morley

In article , Rob Morley writes

A similar thing happened to us and the smell had mostly gone within a week. You could still smell it in certain places for a few more weeks.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Chris Bacon wrote in news:42bad5b6$1 snipped-for-privacy@x-privat.org:

Don't you hate it when that happens?

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Chris Bacon wrote

An odour neutraliser, rather than an air freshener. Look in Yellow Pages under Janitorial Supplies, find one who stocks Prochem (most do) and ask for Prochem Odour Neutraliser. 500ml will cost you £7+ but it will do the job.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Apart from all that, how was the soup ??

Reply to
Rusty

Light a lot of candles - the waxy molecules soak up smells quite well. Spray soft furnishings/carpets lightly with Febreeze (as someone else has already suggested).

Reply to
Peter Parry

Chris Bacon wrote in news:42bad5b6$1 snipped-for-privacy@x-privat.org:

Many years ago, the same happened to my soup. Returned to find just a lump of aerated charcoal at the bottom of the pan. Amazingly, the pan was fine. There was no obvious smell (just a slight singe). No smoke damage. Think I was lucky...

However, having had nasty smelly burning events as well, I would recommend thorough cleaning - time and again. It works eventually. You might find that bicarb added to the water helps.

Reply to
Rod

time.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This guy, remember, burnt chicken soup to a frazzle, would you trust him with a candle? Chrispy Bacon, eh? :-) sounds like a wind-up to me.

Reply to
Hugh

No I didn't! I am asking on behalf of A. N. Other.

Thanks for suggestions so far.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I think is ahead of us

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Reply to
BIG NIGE

I've got a friend with a discharge, etc. ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Would that be a dishonourable discharge ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain