Last week, the kids and I saw a mouse, in the house. It was an
afternoon, and the mouse was quite busy and I was able to identify its
route and what I think was the entry pretty easily. (I saw it in the
evenings a couple of times as well.)
The mister and I decided to try to catch it first, then seal up
suspected entry point. (Some difficulties will be involved there, due to
anomalies of plumbing and electricity in our 50's slab ranch...) So I
perused the selection of pest control devices at the grocery store,
bought the biggest box, which used the word "arsenal" and contained a
variety of traps.
Yesterday afternoon the mister placed a snap trap at suspected entry, a
poison trap in the laundry/pantry and two glue traps, one between
fridge/wall and one at the back of the stove. All areas we have seen the
mouse travel, but inaccessible to the kids (6.5 and 2.5). Checked all
the traps before bed, nothing. Checked the traps this morning before the
kids got up - the glue trap next to the fridge is missing. Gone. Not
behind the fridge, and I'm reasonably certain not under, I checked as
best I could. Is it likely the mouse was only partially trapped and ran
off with it somewhere? I'm stumped!
For those of you who have dealt with an uninvited rodent, what wisdom do
you have to impart?
Use snap traps only. You just discovered one reason why non-lethal traps are a
poor idea. Understand this: mice don't belong in human habitations. They carry
disease. They carry insects that carry disease. They damage property. You need
to get rid of them permanently. That means killling them, and killling them
The best thing in my experience is snap traps -- lots of them -- baited with
raisins. Forget cheese; that's a comic-book idea. Many people advocate peanut
butter, but mice can lick that off of a trap without springing it. Use a nice
fresh raisin. Smoosh it down hard onto the bait pan, and there's _no_way_ they
can get it off without springing the trap.
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
Never heard of raisins; how do they keep? I used to use cheese, but that
dries out pretty quickly. PB is better, but as you say, they manage to eat
it without tripping the traps. Over the winter I don't see the traps for a
month or two at a time, so this is an issue.
OP - Where my dog might get at it, I use this plastic trap that is a square
tube with a bend in it. When the mouse enters to get the treat he tips the
tube, which allows the door to close. It works pretty good, but not as well
as snap traps. I did have one chew its way out; must have been Mighty
I presume you mean you never heard of using raisins to bait mousetraps... <g>
How long they keep on the traps doesn't matter: mice love them, and they don't
stay there long enough to dry out. When the raisins go untouched for two
nights in a row, you've gotten all the mice IME.
That's why I use raisins. :-)
You need to check the traps more often than that, regardless of what bait
you're using -- at least once a day. If you can't or won't do that, you're
probably better off setting poison.
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
buy a live box mouse trap put right alongside wall. mice smell food
walk in and are trapped till you take it a ways away and open, dont
worry they want nothing to do and will run away!
No pain, humane, good example for kids on how to treat wildlife, no
hazard to kids.... cheap 15 bucks reusable..kinda interesting too.
emptied my home once of over 36 mice.
Empty mice twice daily and seal up all openings cement or metal chips
I'm about as warm 'n' fuzzy as it's possible to be when it comes to
animals. Even bugs that enter my house usually get a trip outside in a
jelly jar rather than a swat. When it comes to mice, I feel bad when
the cats get one, and I feel bad when a snap trap does. However, I
remain convinced that I'd feel worse about a case of, oh, Hantavirus or
some other rodent-borne disease. Sorry you decided to come in my
house, Mickey; it's the worst, and last, decision you'll ever make.
Doug Miller wrote:
My sediments exactly! You got the whole forest and woods. But no, you want
to come into my house and do your doodoo all over the place. Chew into a
10# sack of food for a few bites. Do all sorts of damage.
I use a Tin Cat. When I check them, I just toss them into a 5 gallon pail
of water and come back in ten minutes. You got millions of acres, and I
have this little postage stamp of property.
Show some respect!
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message
I, also, was oblivious to the Tin Cat. I had seen it mentioned here a
couple of times, but didn't take notice. Then I went to Ace to get some
wasp traps, and saw them.
They look like a metal cigar box. They are less than one foot square and
about one and a half inches thick. They are shiny galvanized metal.
They have two ramps the mice go into. Once in, they cannot come out.
Having one mouse in the trap is good, because of their curiosity, the others
go in there to find out what's going on. Peanut butter smeared on the floor
inside, and I mean just a dab, is good enough for bait.
You don't have smashed mouse sitting there. You don't have a mouse that's
caught by the tail or foot dragging the trap into the wall. You don't have
to bait them, and risk snapped fingers. Kids and pets cannot get into them.
They are safe. Wash them out with the garden hose. They won't rust unless
you leave them laying in the mud.
If you are a humanist, they are a live trap, so you can trap all you want
and keep them in a cage until the next time you go to visit your favorite
They cost about $15 per, but last a lifetime. I highly recommend them. No
more of those baited spring traps for me.
Google them. Or you can find them locally at about any hardware store.
Made by Victor, the same people who make all sorts of animal traps.
Why in the world do you want to teach someone to be "humane" to a mouse!?!?
They're not HUMAN!!! They need to be kilt. Kilt DEAD. What are you going
to do with them? Take them outside and let them loose?? No wonder you
caught 36. There was only about 3 actual mice you caught over and over.
LMAO!!! Humane! to mice. LOL!
I used glue traps once. Never again. If any commercial business
deserves getting charged with animal cruelty, that manufacturer should
be. It results in either a very slow painful death (read at least a
day) or you have kill the mouse by smashing it with something.
Did you just have a cold snap? Field mice get cold too and look for warm
places. They'd RATHER be in the field, but...
Anyway, think cat, your ecologically-friendly rodent control method.
"Unfortunately, Towser, the famous Glenturret [distillery, Scotland] cat is
no longer resident in the still house. During her long life, Towser broke
records with her hunting prowess, notching up 28,899 mice in her 24 years
[plus a few rats and an occassional rabbit]. She is even immortalised in the
Guinness Book of Records. Visitors can now admire her statue, which was
unveiled in 1995."
Have a cat in residence, obviously not earning his keep. Mere months
ago, in the apartment we lived in before buying this house, he'd go out
in the woods and find mice and bring them and leave them in the
driveway, after a very animated period of play. And now he lets one run
rampant through he house.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.