Gas

We have now got a strange smell aroungd the house that may of course be anything but I am not sure what gas smells like.

What I have done is take a gas meter reading of 09537 then in red 534

No gas apl,icances used in the meantime but I took a reading a full hour later minutes later and it was still 09537 534

The last red figure number 4 is calibarted in 5ths as the number turns

The last figure was 4 and 2 lines (5th) The last figure is still now 4 but progressed to line number 3

so the reading are start 09537 534 2 lines hour later 09537 534 3 lines

Is this enough to be worried about ?

Thank you

Reply to
Jim

I can smell gas, what should I do ? If you smell gas indoors or outdoors call Transco FREE on 0800 111 999 immediately and tell them your location.

Remember:

a.. No naked flames: do not smoke or use naked flames. b.. Do NOT touch electrical switches: turning a light on or off can ignite escaping gas. c.. Open doors and windows: this gets rid of the gas. d.. Turn off the gas: check to see if any gas appliance has been left on or the pilot light has gone out. Then turn off the gas at the meter (make sure you know where the lever is located). e.. People: keep people away from the affected area. f.. Call FREE 0800 111 999: 24 hours a day 365 days a year. Better safe than an insurance claim...

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ

Many many thanks for that guidance. However, I am failry certain the odd smell is not gas, I am just trying to eliminate all possibilities. I have tried to explain the change in gas readings over a period of an hour.

If I had to send readings in, then i would have to say no change, which suggests no leak. However, the 3rd red to the right has moved 1/5 of a figure. Would this be a leak ?

I have turned the gas off at the mains at the moment

Reply to
Jim

DIAL THE EMERGENCY NUMBER NOW.

| >> What I have done is take a gas meter reading of 09537 then in red | >> 534 | >> No gas apl,icances used in the meantime but I took a reading a full | >> hour later minutes later and it was still 09537 534 | >>

| >> The last red figure number 4 is calibarted in 5ths as the number | >> turns | >>

| >> The last figure was 4 and 2 lines (5th) | >> The last figure is still now 4 but progressed to line number 3 | >>

| >> so the reading are | >> start 09537 534 2 lines | >> hour later 09537 534 3 lines | >>

| >> Is this enough to be worried about ? | >>

| >> Thank you | > I can smell gas, what should I do ? | > If you smell gas indoors or outdoors call Transco FREE on 0800 111 999 | > immediately and tell them your location. | >

| > Remember: | >

| > a.. No naked flames: do not smoke or use naked flames. | > b.. Do NOT touch electrical switches: turning a light on or off can | > ignite escaping gas. | > c.. Open doors and windows: this gets rid of the gas. | > d.. Turn off the gas: check to see if any gas appliance has been left on | > or the pilot light has gone out. Then turn off the gas at the meter (make | > sure you know where the lever is located). | > e.. People: keep people away from the affected area. | > f.. Call FREE 0800 111 999: 24 hours a day 365 days a year. | > Better safe than an insurance claim... | >

| | Many many thanks for that guidance. | However, I am failry certain the odd smell is not gas, I am just trying to | eliminate all possibilities. | I have tried to explain the change in gas readings over a period of an hour. | | If I had to send readings in, then i would have to say no change, which | suggests no leak. | However, the 3rd red to the right has moved 1/5 of a figure. Would this | be a leak ? | | I have turned the gas off at the mains at the moment | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Reply to
Stickems.

Follow the advice already given then.....

Bury the damn body, it's no good just dumping it under the floorboards!!

Bill

Thanks for the advice from all concerned. Misled you all, not intentionally. When I wrote around the house, I literally meant "around the house" - outside. My hesitation in calling the gas company was due to the smell being strange , rather than that of rotting eggs etc. I had already cleaned the low gutters in case of dead birds etc and cleared the drains. Could not think of anything else so it was a case of elimination. I checked the gas loss over a period of an hour, being 0.0002 units on the meter which was a rough guess as the last number is not calibrated. Anyway I called out the gas services and within 20 minutes he arrived. he said he could smell the odour, but said he doubted it was gas, He tested the meter and said it was 100% safe and no leak at all. So again thanks for the advice,,,,, one last request please, I am now stuck for tracing this smell, has anyone else been in a similar position and how did you rectify it

Thank you

Reply to
Jim

Drains? Its been a hot day.

Reply to
Graham

I remember putting prawns inside a hollow curtain pole in my mate's flat when I was much, much younger. The place stank for months afterwards and it drove him crazy never knowing where the rotten fish smell was coming from :-)

Prawns inside the bottom hem of a curtain (especially just above a radiator have much the same effect :-)

Has someone been playing practical jokes?

Reply to
Aardvark

I think I may have found the culprit, (maybe)

I noticed the smell was stronger the higher I went up the stepladder (outside)

Our neighbours have a small extension on the side of there house that ends about 3 foot from the side of my house.

Its used for storing food, vegetables and fruit. The roof is the old stylel clear corrigated sheeting. Over time this has got brittle and has a few holes where it meets the gutter.

The smell seems to be coming from there .

Spoke to the neighbour who said that have a lot of oranges stored, and they may have gone bad, and agreed have a look.

Not heard anything since, smell got stronger though. (maybe they are clearing it up)

Now I have the thought of bad oranges in my mind, I am family certain its them.

Anyway thank you all for the help, but I would still like to know how much gas is 0.0002 of a unit, just out of pure interest. The gas guy said that was just the meter clicking on, no gas leak at all.

Thanks

Reply to
Jim

Ok now you've got it sorted, If the leak was outside the house it probably wouldn't be picked up by the meter unless of course it was an appliance venting to outdoors.

Reply to
malc

'Bout the size of a good-sized fart :-)
Reply to
Aardvark

ANY smell or SUSPECT smell of gas call Transco out straight away.

Reply to
fullflow plumbing