Accounts Packages

Can you post the URL? Wouldn't mind taking a look :-)

Cheers - ETV

Reply to
Eric The Viking

My advice is as seasoned Quickbooks user is to use it from day 1, it is a simple package to get to grips with and can be used as the business grows.

Steve Dawson

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

I have just upgraded from Quickbooks 6.0 which I've been using since

1999 to Quickbooks 2004 (which I bought 2 years ago and couldn't face the upheaval of switching mid way through a year.)

And discover that Quickbooks 2004 (pro) does have a mileage tracker.

One should be able to get an e-bay copy of it for a reasonable price I'd have thought.

Reply to
PeTe33

The Medway Handyman

phew!

I wonder what's the payback time ;-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

If you get into the habit of using one bank account for everything related to the business, your monthly statements *are* your books and you don't have to lift a finger or pay a penny.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Indeed, but it's interesting to see daily in/outgoings and, for me, the breakdown of expenses and income. Smart Accounts does that - according to what I want and controlled by me. I love looking at the pie and other charts :-)

There are features others may like but I don't need them. A simple in/out and categorised system is all I need or want, it cost me about £20 some years ago and nothing since. I could use it for multiple accounts but I don't.

It's good.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I suppose one forgotten and uncollected invoice could easily be five or six times that.

Getting the figures wrong and being penalised or prosecuted by the tax authorities could be many times worse.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I paste all my online bank statements into Excel so I can look at it any way I choose. This has the advantage that I never have to manually enter anything. Shame I didn't get time to organise such an elegant system when I was actually making some money :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Well yes, but there are less expensive solutions!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Can you come round and do use a job, and forget about the invoice.

If you are running a business and not know about a uncollected invoice of £250, you should be ashamed of yourself.

So you are doing the tax man out of his 3 pennyworth, by not collecting.

I suppose you put it down to bad debt at the end of the year. Or are you that bad that you have a sales that has not been closed ??

Reply to
solar power

That's what accounting systems are for...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I use Prophet3 which is for an Acorn machine and designed for non accountants. I believe it's now been ported to PC - or perhaps some of their other products (Personal Accounts Home Business) are written from the same direction. And it's a UK company you can easily access for help.

Dave Plowman (News)

The message from Owain contains these words:

Yeah, but a notebook with invoices ticked off as they're paid will work just as well for that particular problem.

Reply to
Guy King

I use MYOB, it's very good for the money.

Reply to
Steve Firth

:¬)

One would hope so.

Reply to
PeTe33

If you use a computerised package make sure you can delete and alte transactions without leaving a trace

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Which one do you use???

Reply to
Cyberdog

What do you mean? Hide things from the tax man? Heaven forbid!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Nick H wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.homeimprovementbanter.com:

If you CAN delete and alter transactions without leaving a trace then it is a rubbish accounting package. I spead as an accountant, auditor and teacher.

Terry

Reply to
Terry