Accounts Packages

If you happen to have inadvertently destroyed your original copy of Quickbooks8, you can buy a backup copy here for £12 :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Use a spread sheet.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But do you keep a record of the start mileage and end mileage. Or do you just allocate as you say 10 miles to a particular job. Be it a direct job, or just going to the bank (indirect)

How do you reconcile whats being put into the computer, as to whats on the speedo. Or do you assume that whatever the mismatch is at the end of the year must be private mileage.

As the tax man needs to know how much of a car is private mileage.

Reply to
solar power

With Smart I just enter cost of petrol, service, insuranceand tax in a separate category for motor costs.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

just been playing about in MS office 12 and they actually have a set of templates for buisness use, if ya want em email me or get yourself a copy of office 12

Reply to
Gav

In article , Eric The Viking writes

I've just converted to Quick books from Sage on my accountants advice and all seems to be well with it:))

Reply to
tony sayer

As far as Medway Handyman is concerned, I don't think the tax man is going to be interested in the fine detail. If your figures are within what the Revenue regard as average for that type of work, they shouldn't bother you. Money in, money out, materials, expenses. Scribble them in your diary and think about making the money rather than accounting for it. Sure, you can design your own accounts package in Access or Excel but I wouldn't bother buying them just for that. The templates are pretty elementary and getting anywhere near the functionality of Quickbooks etc would be a major undertaking for a beginner.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

But not everyone is Excel literate. Probably the most installed but least used application of all time.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

A good option for an absolute beginner in DIY book-keeping would be to use simple paper-based accounts for a while, to get some hands-on experience of calculating how the money comes and goes. Once you have developed a system that suits your business, it is then very much easier to move it over to Excel.

Reply to
Ian White

I agree 100%

Anything more complicated is unnecessary self-indulgence - and can be difficult for some people. I'm not unintelligent but can't work spreadsheets, no matter how many times I've been shown by enthusiasts. I don't need them and nor do many people.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

From what I've seen of accounts packages none of them have a facility for tracking mileage as you describe - you would need to use a separate dedicated program for this. We just use paper forms to enter mileage claims and if required for an invoice enter the number of miles as a line item.

At the end of the day the tax man isn't going to need a break down of your mileage to the nearest mile, just a reasonable approximation of how much is business vs how much is pleasure.

I'd say that for tracking mileage your are better off with a notebook that you can keep in the glovebox and jot your miles in there. Then enter your travelling expenses as a bulk transaction when you're in front of the computer. You would probably have to jot the mileage onto a piece of paper anyway unless you carry a laptop to the car :-)

ETV

Reply to
Eric The Viking

Nice one Tony, I have setup Sage for a number of people in the past - and hate it. Quickbooks is so much more user friendly and is every bit as powerful.

The thing I like with Quickbooks is that Ituit offer a free software development kit that allows people to write 3rd party programs that interact with quickbooks. There is a similar thing for Sage but you probably have to pay them several thousand for the privelege.

ETV

Reply to
Eric The Viking

But if your turnover is below a certain figure, all you need do is claim 40p a mile, and not bother with petrol etc ??

Or at least I think I am correct.

Reply to
solar power

Agreed.

It's too easy to spend all your time trying to make a spreadsheet work the way you want it rather than actually getting your weekly accounts entered.

The easiest options are either use a purpose printed paper cashbook as has been suggested in prior posts, or go with a basic computerised system where you effectively type in "Money In", "Money Out" and what is was for.

Computerised packages usually have excellent reporting facilities and can help you to see where your business is going. Getting the same information out of Excel is a PITA.

ETV

Reply to
Eric The Viking

I am actually Excel literate, and for the past 10 years I've used it for my business records as a magician. The handyman business involves a lot more individual clients and a lot more purchases. I could keep the info on the magic business more or less in my head.

That's what I'm looking for, I want to keep track of how things are going on a regular basis..

Just down loaded a trial copy of Cash is King which sems to be what I want.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

For thirty years we've kept a log (mileage, details of journeys, interesting comments) book in the door pocket for all our four wheeled vehicles. No idea why or how it started but sometimes it's very interesting - and useful - to look back on.

But we've never been asked for mileage details except for insurance, if we were it's all there, from the early 70s.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No idea, it just is a sum for all motor expenses. No mileage is involved. All other details are for our own interest. It's a simple income/expenditure listing.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hi, Sorry to interrupt the flow, but I am after some advice please.

I have been trying out "Dosh Cashbook" as recommended in this thread. I find it perfect for what I want. However I also need to be able to keep customer details, and details of all jobs done for each customer.

Has anyone any recommendations for software to do this. Thanks

Reply to
Cyberdog

Smart Address.

Mary