A pleasant experience with B&Q plywood- TWICE!

As per title really. Normally I would not be suggesting this supplier but there is a write up of my recent findings here for those interested.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I've found some pretty decent ply (similar to yours) at B&Q twice over the last few years.

Plus they have a wall saw which was dead handy when I wanted a load of panels to blank off the last 2ft of loft void (end of floorboards, beginning of cable basket) - fitted with machine screws into "nutserts" for easy removal.

Saved loads of cutting (just wacked them in in 4ft lengths and cut the end ones down) and easy to transport.

Reply to
Tim Watts

This is all good to hear and, next time I need some ply, I'll definitely have a look at B & Q.

Recently I've been taking the easy way out and just visiting the nearest yard. They are ever so friendly, cheerful and helpful with precision cutting etc., but I have to say that I've not been happy with some of the ply and other woods that they seem happy to stock.

Have things changed since I last bought marine ply in reasonable quantities about 20 years ago? Then it was a question of touring the local wood yards until you found one whose order had just arrived off the ship. Then it was a question of inspecting it carefully to check for consistency, voids etc. before any thought of purchase.

Reply to
Bill

Thanks. Interesting.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Not so much plywood, but contiboard for shelving (surely no one buys the incredibly marked up ones ?).

Local B&Q were happy to take a big piece and slice it into shelves (took seconds). Having the right tools ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Mine weren't. I was tempted to borrow a saw from one of the shelves...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Did they apply the edging strip for you too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

These were utility shelves, so I can live without all of them having edging ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk