A pestilence upon my bloody boiler! (help please)

Sunday: Coldest night of the year so far down here and.... The main gas valve solenoid on my old boiler goes on the fritz! It's a late'70s/early 80's "Concord WRS" if that means anything? I urgently need a replacement solenoid (or complete valve if it's not rebuildable). Anyone please know of oanywhere I can find spares for this unit? (before we all freeze to death!) many thanks in advance, JB

Reply to
JB

Look on the bright side, we don`t have any central heating :-/

Reply to
Colin Wilson

HRPC. They are nationwaide.

IMM

If you're annoyed at a 20 year old boiler for breaking down, prepared to be *very* annoyed when you eventually replace it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The good news is that boirs of this age tended to use generic gas valves source for a handful of manufacturers. Which means that you local heating spare shop or HRPC (online) will likely be able to help.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Many thanks for your help. I've had a reply back from Ideal Boilers giving me a reference for the valve.

"If your boiler is a WRS 240/255 or 230a which ceased production in

1978/1982, the gas valve is still available and the part no for it is 003114 Honeywell V4600A1023 240volt "

There seems to loads of them of the same type in the online catalogues too. Now to find a registered fitter! Thanks to all who replied. cheers, JB

Reply to
JB

In message , Dave Plowman writes

But Dave, we have been reliably informed that a new boiler will last 20 years without problems, if you remember ..

Reply to
geoff

Who said without problems? In 20 years expect a few hiccups, even RRs needs new parts in 20 years, but no need to rip it off the wall and replace.

Reply to
IMM

In message , IMM writes

Reply to
geoff

yep.

Reply to
IMM

With having to replace heat exchangers and PCBs on most with some regularity, broom and handle spring to mind. Plus the fact that spares are always well marked up compared to the complete thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In article , IMM writes

B&Q warehouse near Portsmouth have a Baxi Barcelona condensing boiler, which should last all of 2 years :-) . I noticed it behind the pile of Ravenheat combis and enquired its price (knowing that it the worst condensing boiler ever made) - none of the helpful people could find out its price - not listed on their computer at all. After many phone calls to their central warehouse they decide the price was £810. I wonder what poor sod is going to buy it.

Reply to
Andrew

Where do you get this notion the Barcelona was the worst ever made? £810 is rip off or they got it wrong.

Reply to
IMM

I'd take it only if they gave me £810. Could be good for spares I suppose.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In message , Andrew writes

I remember 2 years ago, barcelona pcbs were dropping like flies and Baxi didn't have a single pcb in the country, 8 - 10 weeks lead time

Reply to
geoff