Boiler help please

My in-laws are due to view a property for sale. In their bumph they have stated that their combi boiler is in the loft, which is just a loft and not converted, just lagged,

Is this normal? I have not ever come across a combi boiler in the loft before.

Thanks Ben

Reply to
Ben Short

Yes - the loft is often a convenient location to save space within the house.

The important things to check would be that it's protected against frost (but that the loft hasn't simply been left uninsulated to achieve that); that it's reasonably easy to access eg in case it trips for some reason and needs resetting; and that there's a satisfactory working environment for the heating engineer who will service it (ie, he won't need to balance on ceiling joists and fall through the ceiling).

David

Reply to
Lobster

I wish mine was in the loft. Planning to have my replacement put up there if I can easily comply with the regulations. Why would anyone want one in the kitchen? Our is in an upstairs airing cupboard - taking up useful storage space.

Reply to
John

Ours is in half the airing cupboard using up space as well, rather than in the loft where we were planning to have it. Plumbers arrived, lots of chin stroking etc - loft was not high enough to take it owing to flue length, pipework beneath the boiler, problems with the drain for acidic water etc. If you're planning to put it up there, check you've got enough height for the boiler you intend to use. Condensors tend to be bigger (correct me if I'm wrong) - we'd have had no problem with the tiny powerful thing we had in the last house.

David

Reply to
David

Installing condensing boilers in strange places can be a right pain if it means you have to go up an extension ladder to dethaw the condensate drain which the plumber didn't bother to lag. Don't ask me how I know.

With our extension we're planning on putting it at a sensible height in the utility room - the only problem this time is meeting the rules for where the flue can emerge...

Reply to
Jim

But would it be an airing cupboard without it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No probs at all. Ours is in the loft with the condensate drain pipe poking out through the slates to allow the condensate to flow into the guttering. This complies with all relevant regs, be they CORGI, building, plumbing or whatever (otherwise all the relevant bodies would have complained when we were having all the work done - but they didn't).

Reply to
Pete Zahut

No, it would be the larger wardrobe the missus was counting on and would have been a sight easier to build - I had to put the "central" divider between the airing cupboard and the wardrobe 6 inches to the left of the central door frame to maximise wardrobe space on the right. I think the technical term is "palaver"

Reply to
David

Interesting - the boiler man who came out when the new boiler was a bit noisy said that a lot of his work in the New Year cold spell had been frozen up condesate pipes. He said a lot of the problem was people doing them in 15 mm instead of 22 mm.

david

Reply to
David