A concave building? What madness

I think this episode reflects very badly on Jaguar. I had a look at one of those cars today and now that we know what a cheap and nasty piece of plastic that panel behind the rear door windows is it looks suddenly like a very odd design decision. Makes you wonder what other substandard materials they have used elsewhere on the car.

Reply to
pcb1962

Not to mention ants...

Reply to
pcb1962

Brady has been pretty quick off the mark as well:

John Rumm

You've not owned a Jag, have you? ;-)

Reply to
Scott M

Sometimes messing about with the angles or continuity of a facade can turn an ordinary building, such as a multi storey car park into something that is simply stunning.

The Other Mike

Followed by him saying 'they all do that sir'

Reply to
The Other Mike

It's complex shape, used to hide and cover a panel join, it serves no structural purpose, moulded plastic is an ideal material. In the distant past they would have leaded the join adding weight or stuck a bit of tacky chrome trim on it and made it look like shit.

Reply to
The Other Mike

OK, so it's a thing sticking up all on its own, starts with V, ends with ra.

Small blue pill anyone?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Possibly, at midday, at local equinox. The sun still takes a different path through the sky each day as it rises and sets in combination with the tilt of the earth and the orbit around the sun.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Company... wait for it... Company, break step!

Reply to
Graham.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I found both of those quite ugly. I much prefer traditional stone or brick buildings; glass building with clean lines; ocassionally concrete - none of them with bits stuck all over at odd angles. I suppose life would be boring if we all liked the same thing though.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Yes. They both look like shit.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Tim Streater :

You need to see a doctor.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

On Thursday 05 September 2013 21:58 SteveW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

St Pauls, Palace of Westminster, Grand United Freemasons Lodge, The Tower:

All wonderful and interesting pieces of architechture which will still be around in 500 years.

The Shard, The Glass Testicle, 1 Canada Square, the Walky-Scorchie:

Recognisable, large on scale, but basically not very clever, except for the size. The Testicle in particular is exceedingly ugly.

The Gherkin is OK partly as a result of the use of differenmt shades of glass and the overall shape, but still does not match any of the top examples.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The first one has recently been voted the 3rd coolest car park in the world. Saw it about three years ago, as the sun set. It was an unexpected wow moment, the kind of feeling I got walking into Piazza del Campo in Siena for the first time, or seeing the enormity of the Grand Canyon.

The Other Mike

In article , Tim Watts scribeth thus

Thats prolly why we don't have page 4 with pix of men's nuts on it;!(...

Back en France the other century when Gustave was building his tower, that came in for a lot of stick at that time..

But now ..

How many Frenchmen would like to see it torn down for despoiling le skyline?....

Reply to
tony sayer

This is the Auckland Hospital car park, which I quite like:

Matty F

My real favourite (which probably won't!) is Battersea Power Station...

Reply to
Bob Eager

There is yet another plan to rescue it. Must make about a dozen or more. This one does seem to have more money behind it, though. We'll see. It has been an eyesore for just about as long as I can remember.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Has anyone seen this one, One Angel Square, Manchester?

I think it's the best modern building in Manchester.

Reply to
Graham.